Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Newbie joining the forum planning on building a 32" Pompeii oven

Hi everyone,
    I thought I would say Hi, I am based in Essex in the UK and I have been inspired by a lot of people on this forum.
    I have decided to build my first Pompeii oven and I only have room to build a 32", I am hoping that it will be big enough? I have cut out a cardboard template and it looks OK to me. Are there any forum members who have scaled down to this size? If so how did it work out for you.
    i have been looking at suppliers in the UK and I have found Vitcas.com, most Builders merchants I have tried don't seem to stock anything suitable, are there any recommendations for UK suppliers please. Also regarding the final finish on the insulated dome would normal cement render be ok? Or does it still get too hot.
    sorry to bombard you with questions.

kind Regards
    Roy

If you insulate properly the render should get a little warm, nothing more, so ordinary cement render should be fine.

I understand some uk builders use Kiln Linings, but I didn't like their minimum order rules - if I'm short of a couple of bricks I don't want to hear that I need to spend £200 to get them!

I got all of my stuff from Intocast - Jim Allen there was very helpful and I was entirely satisfied with the stuff they supplied

Comment

Regarding cutting of the bricks, i have a 7" angle grinder with a diamond blade. What saws have you been using? I was thinking of buying a cheap electric mitre saw and fitting a diamond blade to that, do you think this would work?
      Thank you in advanve

Comment

Breathing in brick dust is dangerous because the blade creates minute shards of fired clay that create havoc with the silia in your lungs. That is why a proper brick saw has a water feed to eliminate the dust. You need a decent respirator if cutting dry with a diamond blade. Fitting a water feed to a mitre saw introduces potential serious electrical hazard. The air intake on those saws is also not designed for cutting brick and the dust is likely to kill the motor if used dry.
        Last edited by david s; 05-20-2017, 03:36 PM.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thank you for your response David, I will soak my bricks before cutting them and wear a good mask. I have looked on line for cutters but can only find wet tile cutters that don't have the depth, and metal or wood cutters. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of brick cutters that are water fed, or am I searching in the wrong places.
          Kind regards. Roy

Comment

There are several proper brick saws available in the uk but they tend to be around £800-900. Hiring is also an option.

Comment

Is there a hire shop near you? I have hired big wet cutting table saws before, they normally have a sliding table and a fixed 9" blade.
              Where I live the hire shop will give a monthly rate.

Comment

I have now dug out my base 53" x 53" and I am hoping to concrete the slab at the weekend.
                I am going to be ordering my fire bricks this week and I was wondering ho many i need to order as the delivery charge is expensive I want to try and get it right, including the floor and arches how many bricks would you estimate for a 32" Pompei

Thanks once again for your help

Regards

Roy

Comment

Don't forget to post pics of your build. "I dug out ..." is pretty dry
                  Anton.

My 36" - https://community.fornobravo.com/for...t-bg-build-log

Comment

Get free image hosting, easy photo sharing, and photo editing. Upload pictures and videos, create with the online photo editor, or browse a photo gallery or album and create custom print products.

Comment

Comment

Yesterday we cast the base, which went well. My oven is finally on its way out of the ground.

Comment

I have now ordered my firebricks and insulation board. My slab measures 51" x51". I will allow the slab a week to cure before I start with my blocks.
                          I have now purchased a evolution mitre chop saw which has a 210mm diamond blade fitted, so I will go slow and mask up and see how the cutting goes when my bricks arrive.
                          For those of you experienced builders what size width and height vent arch would you recommend for a 32" ID oven ? I'm hoping to purchase a cast outer door from eBay any thoughts??
                          I appreciate your feed back.
                          Kind regards
                          Roy

Comment

Hi I am looking forward to making a start on the upstand which I will do on Saturday weather permitting, I have got damp coarse but I was wondering if this will be ok to use as I don't want to break the bond! I know there will be plenty of weight, how did you guys go?
                            Also regarding the vent arch which I think I will build first, what is the ideal size for a 32" ID oven.

Thank you

Roy

Comment

What is "damp coarse"? I only see a poured slab, what "bond" are you concerned about?
                              7 days is a sufficient curing time for the concrete foundation to be built upon if that's what you asking.
                              Anton.

My 36" - https://community.fornobravo.com/for...t-bg-build-log

Comment

Working...
                              X