Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying tapered bricks

Hi all,

I have the option to buy already tapered bricks, and didn't find anything about using such bricks, especially planning wise.

I have the following options (in cm):
    • 230/114/64-54
    • 230/114/64-44
    • 230/114/64-35
    • 230/114/64-25
    First, is it recommended? I don't have much masonry experience, and no advanced tools for cutting other than an angle grinder.

Second, how will it work with half bricks?

Third, any tips on calculating which one will I need for a 42" oven?

Thanks in advance,
    Benjamin

Hi and Welcome Benjamin!

I did a quick check of those sizes and the 230/114/64-54 option will work best for a 42" oven. That will give you a tiny mortar joint on the outside if 'tight' on the inside. There is a spreadsheet calculator here that can help you:
    Dome spreadsheet calculator - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

I can see no reason why you can't use tapered bricks. I used a brick that has a little step so as to give the same effect as that of a tapered brick. I'm sure your solution will make for a very tidy oven.
    There would be no reason why you can't use the 230mm long bricks whole, but I think you'll have a better result by cutting each one in half (with your angle grinder and a masonry blade, or with a tile saw / masonry saw). I cut most of my bricks with an angle grinder and (several) diamond masonry blades and it worked well. I did try a tile saw too, which worked well but was quite a mess.

Good luck with your project!

Kind regards,
    Mark
    Last edited by MarkJerling; 06-03-2021, 02:53 PM. Reason: Typo.
    My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
    My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Thanks for the detailed answer Mark!

I've seen the calculator before, but didn't find an option for the tapered bricks there.

My remaining question is the order I use the tapered bricks that I cut in half. Do I use the big half on the bottom courses and then the smaller halves on the upper courses?

Looking "Cut Bricks Dimensions" columns, if I'm understanding them correctly, seem to suggest that, although the sizes there are not exactly a halved tapered brick.

Thanks,
      Benjamin

Comment

Originally posted by BenjaminK View Post
        Thanks for the detailed answer Mark!

I've seen the calculator before, but didn't find an option for the tapered bricks there.

My remaining question is the order I use the tapered bricks that I cut in half. Do I use the big half on the bottom courses and then the smaller halves on the upper courses?

Looking "Cut Bricks Dimensions" columns, if I'm understanding them correctly, seem to suggest that, although the sizes there are not exactly a halved tapered brick.

Thanks,
        Benjamin
        A question: In which direction is the taper?
        My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Not sure how to define the direction... its the height of the brick (laying on its 110mm width, with the 240mm being the length that's supposed to cut in half). Uploaded a sketch of the brick. You can see the angle that is created in the taper, as well that the height of the brick in the middle is 59mm.

Thanks,
          Benjamin

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 19.30.27.png
Views:	202
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	438869
          Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your sketch. Please see attached sketch. I'm guessing the taper is in one of the two directions as per my sketch? Please confirm which one. 20210608_110349.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by MarkJerling View Post
              Hi and Welcome Benjamin!

I did a quick check of those sizes and the 230/114/64-54 option will work best for a 42" oven. That will give you a tiny mortar joint on the outside if 'tight' on the inside. There is a spreadsheet calculator here that can help you:
              Dome spreadsheet calculator - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

I can see no reason why you can't use tapered bricks. I used a brick that has a little step so as to give the same effect as that of a tapered brick. I'm sure your solution will make for a very tidy oven.
              There would be no reason why you can't use the 230mm long bricks whole, but I think you'll have a better result by cutting each one in half (with your angle grinder and a masonry blade, or with a tile saw / masonry saw). I cut most of my bricks with an angle grinder and (several) diamond masonry blades and it worked well. I did try a tile saw too, which worked well but was quite a mess.

Good luck with your project!

Kind regards,
              Mark
              Be extremely careful, cutting bricks dry is extremely dangerous as inhaling the brick dust is REALLY bad. At the very least a respirator should be worn to protect the operator, but it's also a danger for your whole neighbourhood. A wet saw should be used.

https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/silicosis
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post

Be extremely careful, cutting bricks dry is extremely dangerous as inhaling the brick dust is REALLY bad. At the very least a respirator should be worn to protect the operator, but it's also a danger for your whole neighbourhood. A wet saw should be used.

https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/silicosis
                Very good advice. I made sure to use a (good) respirator and always stayed upwind when cutting. Luckily, my neighours are sheep so no humans were harmed with this endeavour. LOL

Comment

Thanks David for the tip, I do intend to use a wet saw. Also, luck is on my side, as I don't have neighbours down wind as well, only cows

Thanks Mark for that question, it seems that I misunderstood that as well, and thanks to your drawing I went back to the supplier, and it is like the bottom brick in your sketch. This answers my question I think, as I can simply cut it in half

Comment

Originally posted by BenjaminK View Post
                    Thanks David for the tip, I do intend to use a wet saw. Also, luck is on my side, as I don't have neighbours down wind as well, only cows

Thanks Mark for that question, it seems that I misunderstood that as well, and thanks to your drawing I went back to the supplier, and it is like the bottom brick in your sketch. This answers my question I think, as I can simply cut it in half
                    Perfect! Yes, cutting in half should work nicely.

Comment

Working...
                    X