Dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimensions

I want to make a pizza oven pompeii style and made a stand of 37” by 46" inch (94*117 cm), the long side pointing towards where the opening of the dome should go.

I thought that I could place a 28" inside diameter oven on this stand.

Only yesterday did I find out about this website and the very clear pdf. When looking at the pompeii oven instructions on page 13, I'm confused. It has an oven landing, isolation enclosure walls etc. It seems to me now that I have made my stand far too small.

What is the best dome diameter for my stand? Should I leave out the 'landing' and isolation etc, and will this stand be able to hold a sufficiently sized pizza oven?
    Last edited by Muls; 07-31-2022, 03:44 AM. Reason: Corrected measurements

This is the whole setup. As you can see, a small countertop as well to the left.

The square to the right is 37 by 46 inch. So: how to decide the best diameter?

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Working backwards, starting at the outside, and allowing for the normal construction layers it would seem you need to work with about 20" diameter oven. That's pretty small.
      I'd suggest increasing the base size.
      My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
      My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

It is possible that if you do a homebrew cast oven you can get a larger ID oven. Typically a brick oven has 4.5" walls where a cast can be 2 to 2.5" walls. Take a look at "other oven types" section and pay attention to feedback from David S. he is our resident cast expert and regularly does small diameter ovens commercially in Australia. So bare min /design of finding max. diameter (as Mark said) is to work backwards. Max. base is 37" - 2" cast walls x 2, 2" ceramic fiber insulation (min. and also most effective) x 2, 1" three layer stucco x 2 = 37" - 4" - 4" - 2" = 27" and this is bare bones cast oven. Also, Nick JC from the UK did a really nice cast oven recently. I would peruse the forum and look at various builds and designs.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks for your comments MarkJerling and UtahBeehiver. I was in touch with David S and he also suggested to cast, in order to gain space. This seems an interesting way to go and in fact easier than laying bricks.

My idea now is to do as follows: cast a homebrew dome on the concrete slab, with a 2'' thickness. The isolation blanket and stucco will NOT rest on the concrete slab, but extend and overhang a bit. If so, this might give me an oven with an inside diameter of 33 inch, based on a slab of 37 inch. In fact, I think that this might give a nice design.

Attached is a fusion360 sketch.
          This is a sketch of the cast on my already finished concrete slab.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	oven cast.png
Views:	295
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	448533

Afterwards, I'll add isolation blanket and render/stucco, which overhangs like this:

Name:	oven cast with stucco overhang.png
Views:	302
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	448531

Finally, I'll extend the stucco towards the ground so that the pizza oven will stand out from the rest.

Name:	oven cast with final stucco to the ground.png
Views:	380
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	448530
          So what do you think? It seems to me that this is doable and in fact may be quite nice. Will it work?
          Attached Files

Comment

Other than your door opening, that seems like a workable solution.
            My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
            My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Ok, thanks. (And no this is not how I plan to build my door opening )

Comment

Just to confirm, you do not cast the dome directly on the concrete hearth. You must have insulation under the floor as well as the bottom of the dome or the concrete hearth will act as a heat sink and draw heat away from the floor and the dome. Min 2" CaSi board or 4" of 5 to 1 p/vcrete.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks for the warning, UtahBeehiver. I was already aware of this, after having read through the forum in the last few days. I have started my own build thread and will continue to give updates and ask questions about my project there:

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...he-netherlands

<

Comment

Working...
                  X