Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: castable refractory

hey mr. g...

Im not sure if this has been asked, Are you or will you be using stainless needles in your pour ? and Are you going to fire the first dome you poured soon for testing ?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
      hey mr. g...

Im not sure if this has been asked, Are you or will you be using stainless needles in your pour ? and Are you going to fire the first dome you poured soon for testing ?

Mark
      Hi Mark, no there doesn't appear to be any need for the needles. I've spoken with a few suppliers and the thickness alone should be able to hold it. There are a few others on the forum who have already fired theirs (Wild Willy for one) with no problems. I think it will still be a while before anyone fires their finished oven in our group. I would think a couple of months at least because nobody has build a base yet.
      We will put a small gas fire in the cured dome after a couple of weeks of drying though so that shouldn't be too far away.
      Mr G.

Comment

Sounds like a plan...

Good luck and keep us posted with pictures of the pours

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
          Sounds like a plan...

Good luck and keep us posted with pictures of the pours

Mark
          Sorry, got a bit carried away and forgot to take pictures during the process. I have taken some of the end though. Given that I'll be making so many more I'll try to remember to take some during the pouring part next time.

Comment

very cool......

Comment

i'm loving this....sectional design, has to be easier to move the end result..

nice job Mr G and crew....

the more i read on these forums the more i know i have to have a go... loool...

waiting on a delivery of sand/gravel, so i can finish some steps and wall foundations..

Comment

Originally posted by mr g View Post
                Forgot to add the pics..... sorry. Here they are. One of the photos show the quarter dome form that I first used under the table.

Mr G.
                sure looks familiar, I wish i would have went the sectional route but i voted against it at the time, i thought it would be too labor intensive...goes to show you why i don't vote...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...uild-7866.html

Comment

Hi Joey, I stumbled across your one just the other day. In fact I sent a friend of mine who wants to make one as well pictures of your design rather than mine. I had to knock him back since we have too many domes to make as it is. You idea is a very clever and simple design. Because you have no slope on the sides is it much simpler to make the form. How heavy do you think your dome is or how many bags went into your dome? Our quarter sections
                  each weigh approx. 85kgs or 187 lbs. Each dome and entrance requires 14 x 25kg (55 lbs) bags. So thats about 350 kg (770 lbs). Does anybody know how long an oven of this mass might take to come up to temp?

We've got another casting session on Wednesday night. We're hoping to make two per week. It tooks us just over three hours to make the last one but with some "streamlining" we're hoping to get that down to two hours (hopefully).

Comment

Hello Over here in NZ fire bricks cost about $6.5 each and a 25kg bag of castable is $30.
                    Does any one know approximately the Volume yield of castable per bag?
                    Regards
                    Bart
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/o...-nz-14012.html

Comment

Originally posted by wemme View Post
                      Hello Over here in NZ fire bricks cost about $6.5 each and a 25kg bag of castable is $30.
                      Does any one know approximately the Volume yield of castable per bag?
                      Regards
                      Bart
                      Depends on density, lower temp. dense castables are 2000kg/m3 or 80x 25kg bags. This equates also to 2 bags/ft3 [ 2bags per cubic foot ]

Comment

Like Johnny said, it depends on the density of the castable that you choose. Lets say you need 5 ft^3 of refractory and your castable is 140lb/ft^3, then the net weight is 5*140= 700#, which would mean that you would need 700lbs/55lbs per bag = 13 bags (assuming that the product comes in a 55# bag). There is very little shrinkage so that is really not an issue when calculating volume.

There are several post on here that talk about calculating the volume of your oven, just do a search and I'm sure you will come up with something.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks guys, I hope to use Castable for the Themal, mass is 50mm (2") for walls and floor
                          enough???

I only want to do a few pizzas a loaf of bread or two or a roast or so.
                          I've attached a spec sheet on the castable i'm thinking of using, Any one have any comments about its suitability?

Regards
                          Bart
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by wemme; 12-22-2009, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Sould be fine, what sort of money in Un Zud?

Comment

about $25 AUD per 25kg bag.

Comment

Originally posted by wemme View Post
                                about $25 AUD per 25kg bag.
                                Thats a reasonable price.

Comment

Working...
                                X