This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why Italian Wood-Fired Ovens are Round

I guess my point was, why go to the trouble of making the pizza oven domed....Can't I just built the round walls to a height of, say 16 inches, and then lay a flat piece of steell across, stack bricks on top of it, and then insulate?

Comment

Domed walls will give you better convection.
      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

You may find that the steel warps over time with the high heat. Back in the day, they used cast material for stove tops to avoid that. The shape of the dome makes it more efficient than a rectangle or other shaped oven.
        On the other hand, there are lots of rectangle shaped ovens out there. My grandfather had built a clay oven for my Grandmother on their homestead. It was made in part from an old 1/2 culvert that was covered with mud and straw and vented out the back at the top of the oven. It had a clay floor and a wooden door that they put in place once the oven was fired and they had scraped the coals to the back of the oven.. It may not have been the most efficient design but she knew how to fire that oven to the right temperature to cook what ever she wanted.

Rick

Comment

Wow I had no idea! Very interesting

Comment

Thank you for this post, I was set to build a barrel vault mainly because it looked easier. I read this post just in time and was able to modify my plans to a round oven. THANKS !

Comment

Re: Why Italian Ovens are Round

Originally posted by james View Post
              There are about a million pizza ovens in Italy, and they are all round.
              Uh, no. Sorry. This is wrong. There are plenty of pizza ovens in Italy that are not round. Not sure why you think they're all round.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks so much so showing the science behind the different types of ovens! Do you or anyone know of a fairly comprehensive DIY guide to building a round oven on a mobile platform?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon Gilbreath View Post
                  Hello,

Thanks so much so showing the science behind the different types of ovens! Do you or anyone know of a fairly comprehensive DIY guide to building a round oven on a mobile platform?
                  If anyone can respond to this, that be great I too need a comprehensive DIY guide to building a mobile Pizza oven!

Comment

Try doing a search on the forum for mobile or trailer ovens.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

WOW It's Nice and good information Engineering involved here Ovens are made Rectangular but in this case dome was made circular to get more heat. If we use Mud Mortar for construction of wall of Dome then we get more heat and 22% less expenditures.

Comment

Working...
                      X