Outdoor kitchen in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Outdoor kitchen in Texas

i think you are right on the crack in the middle. I plan to add corbels made from brick to try and give more support to the pour. I will try and find the maximizer, fibers and bonding agent. I thought the fibers would be visible in the finish so weren't usually used? Which fibers? glass?
    Tracy
    Texman Kitchen
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

The maximiser and bonding agent at HD or Lowes, sometimes they have the fibers, usually not. Glass doesn't play well with cement, the fibers are polyethylene/nylon and do not give the hairy look like the glass ones did (plus if there are any standing up you can either shave them or melt them off.
      Last edited by Tscarborough; 08-13-2012, 02:37 PM.

Comment

These guys will have everything you need (except the Maximiser, it will be cheaper at the big box):

Amarillo Branch - CMC Construction Services Houston, Texas USA CMC Construction Services

Also, never use lath in concrete, the holes are not big enough and it creates a failure plane.

Comment

I just called CMC, they do not have the fibers but they DO have pencil rod, 1/4 x 20', that would work fine in your counter.

For the fibers, I called Golden Spread redi-mix on Van Buren, they sell bags of fibers for 12 bucks.

Comment

Hi Tracy,

Thank you so much for your post. I am loving your outdoor space. In regards to the ceiling predicament, we recommend a clearance of 14" from the top of the chimney pipe to ANY combustibles. I hope that this helps your decision.

Amber

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
              I just called CMC, they do not have the fibers but they DO have pencil rod, 1/4 x 20', that would work fine in your counter.

For the fibers, I called Golden Spread redi-mix on Van Buren, they sell bags of fibers for 12 bucks.
              Dude! Thanks for the legwork! Much appreciated!
              What kind of spacing on the rod?
              Tracy
              Texman Kitchen

Comment

One rod the length of the front of the counter, 1-1/2" from the face (carry rods through any joint), another 3 inch back from that, then 8-12" OC long ways. 8-12" OC front to back, ending at least 1-1/2" from the face. If you were to bend the wire in shallow arcs back and forth it would be even better since it is slick rod.

Comment

I got 5 bags of the maximizer which should be 5 cu ft. I need around 4.5 cu ft. I was thinking you said i needed acrylic modifier but i reread and see bonding agent. The bonding agent is just a coating for the permabase board , correct? I will get the fiber and rod probably wednesday. Any idea how much fiber i would need for this pour?
                  Any thoughts on the corbels and spacing?
                  Tracy
                  Texman Kitchen

Comment

It is the same, it can be painted on as a surface bonder or added to the mix water as an integral bonder. You want to mix it as an integral bonding agent, the ratio of water to bonding agent depends upon the particular product as they come in various concentrations.

A small handful of fiber per bag of concrete, a normal bag is good for 1 CuYd of concrete (1.5# bag), for the corbeling I don't know without seeing how you are doing the base.
                    Last edited by Tscarborough; 08-13-2012, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Hey Tex,

See you have another thread. From what I have seen on your oven build the kitchen will turn out great too. Probably driving you nuts while you wait for your vent pipe. Going to watch with interest on your concrete counters. Thinking of doing something like it on the base of my build.
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

hey russell
                        thanks for stopping in on this thread. I started this one because of all the things that are unrelated to wfo that go into an outdoor kitchen. like concrete countertops. getting close i hope. should pour counters this weekend. i got the chimney pipe yesterday, so plenty of work awaits.
                        Great job on your dome closure! you should feel 20# lighter
                        tracy
                        Texman Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                          It is the same, it can be painted on as a surface bonder or added to the mix water as an integral bonder. You want to mix it as an integral bonding agent, the ratio of water to bonding agent depends upon the particular product as they come in various concentrations.

A small handful of fiber per bag of concrete, a normal bag is good for 1 CuYd of concrete (1.5# bag), for the corbeling I don't know without seeing how you are doing the base.
                          This is the bonding adhesive at lowes. Is this the correct stuff and how would you mix?
                          QUIKRETE Gallon Bonding Adhesive
                          Item #: 10428 | Model #: 990201
                          Shop QUIKRETE Gallon Bonding Adhesive at Lowes.com
                          The attached picture is of the base. It is 8x16 cmu filled with concrete and full brick veneer of chicagos. Does that give you enough info ?
                          I am going to get the fiber and rod at lunch. Sorry to be a bonehead, but not sure i follow
                          If you were to bend the wire in shallow arcs back and forth it would be even better since it is slick rod.
                          The rod will overlap and be wire tied, do you mean bend at those intersections?
                          Thanks for all the help. I obviously need it.
                          Tracy
                          Texman Kitchen

Comment

Short of cutting brick out, the cobeling isn't going to work. Bend the wire in shallow arcs along the length, not kinked just not straight.

Comment

You said the overhang is 12", how deep is the counter top behind that?

Comment

the counter top base is 12" as well. So total counter is 24".
                                Tracy
                                Texman Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                                X