Outdoor kitchen in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Outdoor kitchen in Texas

Normally you would want any cantilevered projection to be no more than 1/3 of the total bending member, and that is for an anchored cantilever with sufficient thickness to allow steel reinforcement to operate to design capacities.

I don't know, if you plan on having hot nekkid chicks dancing on the bar it will probably fail, but under normal sedate use it will probably be OK. I can't really give you a solution, but I would probably reduce the overhang to 6-8" since I ALWAYS anticipate hot nekkid chicks dancing on my bar.

Comment

OK, I thought about it today, and I think you can make the corbels work and not look like crap. 4 corbels, 1 at each end and two more splitting the difference into 3 sections.

Kind of like in this pic (Pay no attention to the dust bunnies and general cord disorder, I move stuff around a lot). Bring the bottom of the support down as far as you can. Notch it into the existing brickwork at the lower end. I don't know what the rest of your kitchen style is but rough wood may work, and finished if not.

edit for spellink.
      Last edited by Tscarborough; 08-16-2012, 06:13 PM.

Comment

If i can get Hot nekkid chix on my bar, I will hold it up myself or let it break so maybe i could catch them before they got away.
        I have been trying to school myself on this some more. That is a good idea on the corbels and might work. My cabinets are rough stained cedar. I found some I braces

These guys are discussing this same setup and they think it would work with your combination of fiber, steel and stronger concrete. I even saw some test videos of cantilevered concrete 2" thick with 24" unsupported holding 350# of sand at the outermost edge. That setup had much more supported on cabinet than i will which as i understand is what makes the beam concept perform.
        As you pointed out earlier, i dont have enough base to support my 12" cantilever without corbels or something else. MAybe the Hot nekkid chicks would hold it up for me!Wishing.
        I think the I braces might help, but wouldn't prevent a failure. IMO
        I am thinking of going to 2" thickness for one thing. I am thinking or your corbels or maybe just 4 vertical supports of some configuration. Back to the drawing board.
        Tracy
        Texman Kitchen
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

I am thinking that reducing my cantilevered bar top to 8" from 12" may be the best option here. Redoing my form is going to be easier than building four corbels and getting them set in the existing brick. 8" is 2" greater than the 1/3 of total rule. The fiber, maximizer and 1/4 rod should make that work. The hot chicks will have to be more careful where they dance. The main concern was knee room at the bar. I don't think anyone will be spending a great deal of time sitting at the bar when all the hot nekkid chix are dancing on it.
          Tracy
          Texman Kitchen

Comment

That sounds like the best plan of action. Now let's talk about Maximiser. It is a great product, but it has one issue that can cause problems. It uses lightweight aggregate, which is expanded shale. This causes problems if you are not ready for it because the aggregate is at nearly zero percent moisture. It sucks all the mix water out and causes a flash set before you can get it placed.

Here is the best way to mix it, either by hand or in a mixer. Mix 3/4 of a bag with the recommended amount of water stated on the bag, then add the last quarter. In your case, assuming a mixer, here is the sequence:

All the recommended water, holding back a small amount. Do not forget to add the bonding agent to the mix water, about 1 gallon of bonder to 8 gallons of water.

The fibers, a small handful per bag of Max is fine.

Concrete dye if you are using it.

3/4 of a bag of Max. Let mix for 2-3 minutes, then add the rest. If it is too stiff, add a little more of the mix water, the texture you are looking for will roll in the mixer, not slop. Total mix time 5 or so minutes.

Edit- The other thing about any concrete is that it hits a point after being mixed for 4 or 5 minutes that is looks too dry, then it relaxes. Excess water is not your friend in this type of concrete placement, so be frugal.
            Last edited by Tscarborough; 08-17-2012, 03:06 PM.

Comment

I poured my counters (thanks to Tom) Went well i think. Going to have some work on the edges, but that is to be expected. My forms had some movement and didn't keep my curve as well as i hoped. Should have braced it more.

Anyway here it is.
              120' of 1/4' rebar, 16 x 1/4" tapcons imbedded at least 2.5" to hold the tipping force(i hope) 5 bags of maximizer concrete, Bonding agent, fiber and 5 bottles brown stain with 1 bottle of red through the mix. Used the expanding foam to fill gaps around that center post and the back edge. That was a surprise. I worked the gap as it cured and it held the back edge in place! Lots of trowel work! the mix was hard to work but finally got the aggregate pushed down and smooth. I like the color. I have it covered in plastic to cure.
              How long to cure and when should the edge forms come off? I think the vertical support should stay there a while? Tracy
              Texman Kitchen

Comment

here are the results so far.
                Texman Kitchen

Comment

Tex,

That is a serious belly up to the bar counter. Watching with alot of interest since I am going to pour a concrete counter over my existing hearth and polish. Great job.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

thanks Russell. LOTS of work. Good luck on the polished concrete. I like that look, but with this much real estate to cover, i am hoping that i can make this work as is. If not, i will be polishing a while.
                    Texman Kitchen

Comment

The plastic may cause discoloration if it has bubbles or wrinkles in it, but it will polish out. Keep it wet for a couple of days at least.

Comment

tom
                        i put some boards supported by the form to keep the plastic off the finished concrete. seemed to work ok. Just spray it lightly to keep wet?how often on the spraying?
                        How long on the cure for the vertical support? I figure i can take the edge forms off this evening or should i leave it all together for now?
                        Texman Kitchen

Comment

Wow! Looks great. That is one long bar. Are you going to cut some joints into it?

I am still deciding on concrete or granite for my BBQ counter. I have a access to a "free" piece of granite slab - but free is in quotes because I'd still have to pay for the transport, cut, and install. May still go with concrete.
                          My build progress
                          My WFO Journal on Facebook
                          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

dang it. I knew i forgot something. meant to put one at the center by those posts. I am sure it will crack there. I should probably cut one tonight.
                            Texman Kitchen

Comment

Just cut one, it will look better anyway. You can take the face-form off anytime, but do not pull it directly away from the face, slide it along the face.

Comment

My edges don't look as good as i hoped and will need lots of work or maybe even veneered with brick or something. I am blaming the wife. i was mixing and pouring and she was placing along the edges. I used my sander to vibrate edges and bottom for air removal. I think my mix was a little dry. I am going to try and use the patch compound and color to make pretty edges. i used some of the patch compound uncolored to test since it will take multiple layers to get the right finish. The inside edge will get a flagstone covering as a small backsplash.
                                I did some hand sanding on a few areas and have already exposed some aggregate. So, do i sand try for polished or a troweled and sanded finish. Still keeping it wet with the towels.
                                Tracy
                                Last edited by texman; 08-22-2012, 07:10 AM. Reason: add more pics
                                Texman Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                                X