Neighbor is complaining about soot damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Neighbor is complaining about soot damage

If it were me, I would be firing that oven up everyday. I think she is burning up with envy and can't stand it that you have a unique and beautiful WFO oven. Like said above, ignore her.

Comment

What comes out your chimney after you get a fire going? I can't see how any authority, upon seeing heat waves with no visible smoke coming out of your oven would do anything but admire it. I would be very strong willed in a situation where any authority tried to muscle me over something as basic as cooking food in my own backyard in an efficient and clean burning WFO.

I would be highly indignant if they took this women for anything but a crank.
      Last edited by Grimaldi; 01-03-2011, 09:24 AM. Reason: speeling

Comment

Thanks.

Yeah, I desperately want to do some pizza. On an unrelated note, I am somewhat dismayed at the time and effort required to make one or two pizzas for my wife and myself. I don't mind the time prepping the dough. It's the chopping wood and two hours stoking and feeding a fire all to cook pizzas for two or three minutes that gets a little vexing. I love doing pizza parties, but for just the two of us I am learning that I have to overcome a lot of inertia to do pizza...especially during winter.

I should try to put together a pizza party later this month.

Cheers!

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
        Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Originally posted by Grimaldi View Post
          What comes out your chimney after you get a fire going? I can't see how any authority, upon seeing heat waves with no visible smoke...
          Over the course of the 1.5 - 2 hours that it takes to fire the oven to full capacity the emissions come and go. If it is left to burn for a while, it tends to clear out and produce no smoke. When I throw new wood in or when I stoke, stir, or otherwise rearrange the fire, it obviously starts smoking for a few minutes...then settles down again...just like any ordinary fire of course...but I do tend to the fire quite a bit since I'm trying to keep it going strong. It's not like a dinky campfire that one might let wax and wane over an evening. I'm trying to keep that thing rolling of course so I can saturate the bricks as rapidly as possible...so it does tend to smoke in fits and starts over the duration.

Cheers!

Comment

Have you considered converting your oven to gas, no smoke, less heat up time, no whining neighbours, its a win win.....
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I rather doubt I'd get that true Neopolitan pizza flavor without the wood-fire next to it...not that I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

A length of pipe (8mm copper is really good) you can easily ignite smouldering wood to eliminate smoking. The great thing about it is that you can direct the oxygen to exactly the spot you want. It's also a really easy way to clear the ash from the floor.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Blowing smoke up someones arse was a recommended method for resuscitating drowning victims in England in the 18 th C. Maybe you could try the technique on your neighbour.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                    Blowing smoke up someones arse was a recommended method for resuscitating drowning victims in England in the 18 th C. Maybe you could try the technique on your neighbour.
                    I can see why mouth to mouth became more popular....
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

This is something you should really look at at this point. Amendments to your local fire code.

Seattle City Council Bills and Ordinances

It's an earlier version of your local fire codes but most don't change that much but check with your local Fire code official not the building inspector for a current reading of your local codes. You can read through this entire document and may find other things to your benefit but this is what I found on a quick glance. These are just changes adopted by your local government from one fire code to a newer version.

Section 80. Section 302.1 of the 2003 International Fire Code is amended as follows:

302.1 Definitions. The following words and terms shall, for the purposes of this chapter and as used elsewhere in this code, have the meanings shown herein.

RECREATIONAL FIRE. An outdoor fire burning materials other than rubbish where the fuel being burned

(is not contained in an incinerator, outdoor fireplace, barbeque grill or barbeque pit and) this section striked out

has a total fuel area of 3feet (914 mm) or less in diameter and 2 feet (610 mm) or less in height for pleasure, religious, ceremonial, cooking, warmth or similar purposes. A recreational fire may be contained in an incinerator, outdoor fireplace,barbeque grill or barbeque pit.

Like I said find your local fire code official and perhaps you can get a letter from him to state that you are within fire code regulations for your location. Here is where you find him
                      http://www.cityofseattle.net/fire/fmo/fmo.htm
                      Hope this helps
                      Last edited by Faith In Virginia; 01-03-2011, 07:29 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Found another a bit old but still informative note the old wording changed in the previous document. This is the law so if the neighbor is complaining there is really nothing she can do but complain. In this one you would follow the Patio Fireplace regulations.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911...quirements.pdf

You have every right to continue using your oven.

Just noticed, this notice is 2006 and the change in wording on the regulations was changed and adopted in 2004. Funny the fire department doesn't check for regulatory updates.
                        Last edited by Faith In Virginia; 01-03-2011, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Sorry I see I'm a bit late on the Fire Marshal and regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by kebwi View Post
                            Thanks.

Yeah, I desperately want to do some pizza. On an unrelated note, I am somewhat dismayed at the time and effort required to make one or two pizzas for my wife and myself. I don't mind the time prepping the dough. It's the chopping wood and two hours stoking and feeding a fire all to cook pizzas for two or three minutes that gets a little vexing. I love doing pizza parties, but for just the two of us I am learning that I have to overcome a lot of inertia to do pizza...especially during winter.

I should try to put together a pizza party later this month.

Cheers!
                            In the latest poll about oven size, the people with the smallest ovens address each of your points above and then go ice their shoulder....They are patting themselves on the back so much they throw their shoulder out of joint

I wanted to build the oven outside, but have the oven landing in the dining room . There was one vote "NO" and that vote has 51% count this time

I've studied your web sites and marvel at the quality of your build. Exceptional in every way. I noticed the confined spaces you have to deal with, you do really have some challenges to overcome.

Perhaps when you are baking some bread after the pizza, you can leave some bread for the neighbors on all sides....That will go a long way to mollify any affects of smoke in any direction.

My best to you
                            Last edited by Lburou; 01-03-2011, 09:12 AM.
                            Lee B.
                            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

I don't mind the time prepping the dough. It's the chopping wood and two hours stoking and feeding a fire all to cook pizzas for two or three minutes that gets a little vexing.
                              I think this is exactly why a number of builders are starting to look at techniques and configurations designed to increase the heat-retention capabilities of their ovens. Like Fxpose, I am looking forward to residual-heat cooking almost more than the original pizza gatherings.

John

Comment

For one or 2 pizzas, I just use the kitchen oven. I am not going to fire up the WFO for less than 4, and preferably 8 or 10. I do tend to give away a lot pizzas to neighbors, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X