Orange tree suitable for firewood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Orange tree suitable for firewood?

Most temperate-origin fruit wood is good for smoking. Quince is ok, too. Kiwi is technically a berry, I think, and I've never seen it used because kiwi isn't a native tree here.

Don't burn good sized pieces of walnut. Sell them to a woodworker instead.

In the U.S. it isn't recommended to use eucalyptus for smoking, but that's probably because we must have some nasty bastardized import that gives off noxious fumes. I imagine thst the aussies would have centuries of experience with eucalyptus, and even more second hand knowledge from native peoples, so they know which trees are ok, and which one will send you on a permanent walkabout.

Comment

GianniFoccacia, this picture show what seems a very very seasoned orange wood. By the way, tell us how do you split such logs as, in my experience, there is no way exception of some sort of hidraulic press or cut it with a motorsaw. But avoid the last especially if you don't have a way for re-sharp the chain by yourself. This wood when well dried is very abrasive and you can even see sparks when motorsaw is cutting.

Originally posted by cus View Post
      Hi all,
      So is there any fruit wood that you would not use?
      This could be a very useful thread. My granfather told me once: "never burn for cooking fig tree wood, nor for paella, nor for barbecue, nor for fireplace". I've heard thar it's still is a common hunters prank to add some branch of fig to ruin the coals of a whole barbecue. Seems that the smoke add a ugly taste to the food.
      Regards

Comment

Google to the rescue.
        Figs poisonous? - Fig Forum - GardenWeb
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

And again.

Tree limb wood that is toxic - Mickaboo Wiki

My Build.

Books.

Comment

This could be a very useful thread. My granfather told me once: "never burn for cooking fig tree wood, nor for paella, nor for barbecue, nor for fireplace". I've heard thar it's still is a common hunters prank to add some branch of fig to ruin the coals of a whole barbecue. Seems that the smoke add a ugly taste to the food.
            Regards[/QUOTE]

Gudday
            Thanks for the info but.....trust my luck, mangled my hand cutting up fig tree trimmings from a friend, now I find out the @&%$ stuff unsuitable to burn in a WFO. Now would you read about it!!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	hand.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	828.4 KB
ID:	289548

Regards Dave
            Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-27-2012, 01:17 AM.
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post

Gudday
              Thanks for the info but.....trust my luck, mangled my hand cutting up fig tree trimmings from a friend, now I find out the @&%$ stuff unsuitable to burn in a WFO. Now would you read about it!!
              [ATTACH]29743[/ATTACH]

Regards Dave
              Its a different fig Dave, read the link in my post above.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Gudday
                Weeping fig, ficus,small leaves great in pot plant... menace in the garden thats the culprit.
                Noticed the list include Advocardo ....I have that as well... thanks for the list thats of to the dump as well

Thanks Dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                  Cannabis is on the list.... Is that the type of " toxic "we are talking about. I should stop burning the stuff!

On a serious note I'll make sure I pay attention during prunning time and keep the apple wood and use that.... All the rest seem to be on this list....

Cus

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post

I think I might look elsewhere for a list of what you can use in your oven. This list is for the birds. Quite literally.

I was curious when I noted that Cedar was listed as toxic. The native residents of my region used cedar for salmon cooking for thousands of years. There are also many other woods on the list that I know are quite commonly used for smoking (alder, apricot)

So I clicked back to the top level domain of "Mickaboo" and found out that is a "companion bird rescue" site. That list is meant to be wood that is toxic for birds in their cages. I don't think it's applicable to WFO's.
                    Last edited by deejayoh; 05-27-2012, 10:45 AM.
                    My build progress
                    My WFO Journal on Facebook
                    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

By the way, tell us how do you split such logs as, in my experience, there is no way exception of some sort of hidraulic press or cut it with a motorsaw
                      Dmendo,

As you suggest, the wood is quite dry and burns nicely, if a bit quickly. I have grilled with it two straight nights and it imparts a wonderful, sweet aroma while burning.
                      I used a hatchet to cut some of the smaller 'disks' into fist-sized chunks for grilling, but will need to use either my sledgehammer and wedge or chainsaw to cut the larger pieces. Either way, I am indeed fortunate to have acquired this wonderful fuel and can't wait to heat the oven with it.
                      John

Comment

Working...
                      X