Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kiln dried Vs Seasoned?

NC,

Everytime I get a product on a pallet I have to pay a deposit. Somewhere around 10-15 bucks. They are hard to come by in the west...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

The throw away type of pallets here are normally chemically treated. They usually come from items that are imported into Japan and the rules are severe because of attempts to keep (hitch-hiking) insects from entering the country. The greatest percentage of domestic pallets are plastic or specialty ones with deposits and manufacturers labels attached. The few times I've used any pallet wood, I've regretted it later...always filthy older pallets with spiral shank nails rusted making it difficult to remove--hardly worth the time for what little wood you get. Also, do not know what was originally being transported on the pallets! So IMHO, no thanks for pallets in any shape or form!

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
        The throw away type of pallets here are normally chemically treated. They usually come from items that are imported into Japan and the rules are severe because of attempts to keep (hitch-hiking) insects from entering the country. The greatest percentage of domestic pallets are plastic or specialty ones with deposits and manufacturers labels attached. The few times I've used any pallet wood, I've regretted it later...always filthy older pallets with spiral shank nails rusted making it difficult to remove--hardly worth the time for what little wood you get. Also, do not know what was originally being transported on the pallets! So IMHO, no thanks for pallets in any shape or form!
        I agree w/you. Probably not a good idea there in Japan.
        My Build:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
          NC,

Everytime I get a product on a pallet I have to pay a deposit. Somewhere around 10-15 bucks. They are hard to come by in the west...
          I'm sure it's different in certain areas. I can get them by the flatbed full here. Maybe I need to buy me a rig and start hauling them out west. They are more of a nuisance to businesses in this area. Businesses here even advertise often on Craigs' to give them away and thank you for "disposing of them". Nice oak ones.
          My Build:

Comment

It seems you guy's in the south are awash in good hardwood. And more to come with the freeze headed your way. They say trees are going to be falling left and right.
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
              Maybe Dave (cobblerdave) will jump in on this. It seems that the imports have some type of stamp on them which designate exactly how they were treated. I think that I remember him looking up a code. His pallets were steamed to kill any hitchhikers, and then waxed.

PS: Aidan, Glad to see you back on the forum. Many of the newbies probably won't know that you actually named the Queen .
              Last edited by Gulf; 02-12-2014, 06:37 PM.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Yeah the chainsaws will be buzzing over the next few days, for sure.
                My Build:

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                  It seems you guy's in the south are awash in good hardwood. And more to come with the freeze headed your way. They say trees are going to be falling left and right.
                  Originally posted by NCMan View Post
                  Yeah the chainsaws will be buzzing over the next few days, for sure.
                  I hate to see anyone having to deal with inclimate weather, but that always seem to bring the price of firewood down to .....almost....... free .
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                    Maybe Dave (cobblerdave) will jump in on this. It seems that the imports have some type of stamp on them which designate exactly how they were treated. I think that I remember him looking up a code. His pallets were steamed to kill any hitchhikers, and then waxed.

PS: Aidan, Glad to see you back on the forum. Many of the newbies probably won't know that you actually named the Queen .
                    G'day
                    Yes that was one off that suprised me. Probably because it was used for a fridge or dishwasher something that would never be stored outside. The code was Canadian, I think.
                    Any pallets around QLD though I'm not even tempted. There are no visual indicators,no markings, often copper arsenic has a green tinge to it but not always.
                    Same for a lot of building materials now they come termite treated. So unless you can prove that it isn't you don't use those either.
                    Yes I've burnt many things in the past but things are changing fast its not worth It to get it wrong.
                    Regards Dave
                    Last edited by cobblerdave; 02-12-2014, 09:14 PM.
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

After a major wind storm in Adelaide last week which brought down masses of trees, cutting the power to most of the eastern suburbs of Adelaide for up to 40 hours, (we were out for 23 hours which wasn't fun as we also did not have water) there was a plethora of wood available that just needed to be cut and carted.

There were a lot of people who took advantage to assist the authorities in cleaning up the fallen wood

Any Free Wood is good wood!!
                      "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
                      The Pirate Captain

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                        G'day
                        Yes that was one off that suprised me. Probably because it was used for a fridge or dishwasher something that would never be stored outside. The code was Canadian, I think.
                        Any pallets around QLD though I'm not even tempted. There are no visual indicators,no markings, often copper arsenic has a green tinge to it but not always.
                        Same for a lot of building materials now they come termite treated. So unless you can prove that it isn't you don't use those either.
                        Yes I've burnt many things in the past but things are changing fast its not worth It to get it wrong.
                        Regards Dave
                        G'day to you as well!

Looked a little into this on internet:

treatment is either by heat or chemical treatment, used to prevent the spread of some microscopic pest in raw wood or bark. Really is an international rule for pallet and packaging materials. The stuff with HT as part of their label may be OK for burning, but many time pallets have been repaired for reuse, and repairs must also meet same guidelines--but repair materials may be the chemical treated type.. So even for free??? Still would shy away from using as WFO firewood. Some exceptions in packaging material are manufactured woods--plywood, OSB, MDF--and some with very thin veneers that would not host these insects. But these materials are also not suitable for firewood IMHO.

Comment

This is how most of the pallets are disposed of in Ireland (at least the wee north). They build hundred of these giant towers and burn them. I'm not commenting on the politics behind this but the mentality speaks for itself.

We had our own storms here yesterday which brought down a lot of trees - mostly on top of cars it seems. I don't own a chainsaw - yet!

Hi gulf - I have a lot of catching up to do on many threads including yours. The oven has been quiet (most time still covered in tarp) - but I am becoming quite the expert on making sourdough bread - all indoors so far.
                          Amac
                          Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                            I hate to see anyone having to deal with inclimate weather, but that always seem to bring the price of firewood down to .....almost....... free .
                            We've got broken tops and trees down everywhere. Trouble with storm wood, is it's not ready to burn, unless it's ash trees...none of those around these parts.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                            John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                              We've got broken tops and trees down everywhere. Trouble with storm wood, is it's not ready to burn, unless it's ash trees...none of those around these parts.
                              Same here. My neighbor has a few trees and tops down in his pasture. I'm heading over there this afternoon to help him clean it up, as one treetop is blocking his barn where the horses need to get in and out. Trouble is, it's all pine. Not a lot of demand around here for that, but someone will take it. All he has to do is put a sign out or make a few phone calls and it will be gone in a few days.
                              My Build:

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                                G'day
                                Funny thing about gum trees is that the branches taken out out by storms are usually the one that were previously storm damaged or insect attacked . The tree has already cut the damaged limb of from itself and its well on its way to being cured. 2 to 3 in branches lopped to length will not drip sap and will be usable in dry conditions in a few months.
                                Those which are easy to cut or have sappy wood you store seperatly for a longer period.
                                My favorite wood is she oak a tree found along water courses along the east coast. The wood is dense burns hot makes great long lasting coals and little ash the fact that it smells so good when it burns ticks all he boxes. It is of course on public land being on the river banks so you can only get storm falls.
                                Regards dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once
                                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                                My Door
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                                X