Door Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door Construction

I am mulling the door build right now and am wondering what everyone has made doors of. My thought was a sandwiched aluminum construction using 0.1 inch thickness aluminum panel with pearlcrete interior.

If those who have built doors, what would you have done differently?

Thanks in advance for the advise - and your learning experiences you are willing to share.

Chris
    Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Re: Door Construction

"sandwiched aluminum construction "

This works well. You want to keep the weight down if you can, maneuvering a heavy door in and out can be a pain. For the insulation, consider using the 1/2 inch thick type of insulation that is used in electric ranges or even any leftover blanket insulation material from the build. If you have a local recycler yard (dump) you can sometimes score the range insulation material for nothing.
    Last edited by Neil2; 12-27-2010, 12:35 PM.

Comment

My 2" thick aluminum 'box' door is packed with leftover bits and pieces of blanket insulation and only weighs like 4 lbs including a single wooden handle and a dial thermometer.
      I can hold the door in one hand while handling food with the other....very practical.

I wouldn't change anything if I had to do it again.
      Last edited by fxpose; 12-27-2010, 02:29 PM.
      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Any pictures of inner insulated doors that people are pleased with? I had a temporary thick wooden plank as an inner door, but that turned into a perfect arch of ash on the oven floor;]

I'm pleased with my diamond plate outer door...after I get the fire lit, I put the door over the opening and the fires roars with no smoke out the front.

Below is a pic of my long gone inner door and my outer door (also, now have a stainless deck instead of firebrick sticking out the front).

Comment

Originally posted by Grimaldi View Post
          Any pictures of inner insulated doors that people are pleased with?
          I'm pleased with my light weight door. Like I mentioned earlier, if I had to build another I'd build it pretty much the same way.
          George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

I built 2 doors, my 1st being a 1/4" boiler plate steel door with handles and "legs" to prop it in place; all painted black with high temp paint. I currently only use this door as a wind break. VERY heavy, I've actually chipped (minor) a few bricks putting it in place.

My second door is the aluminum/perlite sandwich you are proposing, 2 1/4" inches thick.
            Works really well, I just wish I had saved the few scraps of ceramic blanket I had left over. The blanket or board from under the hearth are twice as efficient as using perlite or vermiculite. I guess hindsight is 20/20.

RT

Comment

Originally posted by Grimaldi View Post
              Any pictures of inner insulated doors that people are pleased with? I had a temporary thick wooden plank as an inner door, but that turned into a perfect arch of ash on the oven floor;]

I'm pleased with my diamond plate outer door...after I get the fire lit, I put the door over the opening and the fires roars with no smoke out the front.

Below is a pic of my long gone inner door and my outer door (also, now have a stainless deck instead of firebrick sticking out the front).
              Originally posted by fxpose View Post
              I'm pleased with my light weight door. Like I mentioned earlier, if I had to build another I'd build it pretty much the same way.

I like the idea of an inner and outer door. I have a predominant wind that would be negated by the outer door, and want an inner door for post pizza baking.
              Lee B.
              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
                I like the idea of an inner and outer door. I have a predominant wind that would be negated by the outer door, and want an inner door for post pizza baking.
                I frequently use my inner door placed in the outer position (positioned so as to allow fresh air in from one side) during start up or during between pizzas as a wind block.
                George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
                  I frequently use my inner door placed in the outer position (positioned so as to allow fresh air in from one side) during start up or during between pizzas as a wind block.

Thanks I enjoyed reading every post in your build....
                  Lee B.
                  DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Well, It looks to be aluminum and board/kaowool sandwich. I will have to figure out how to make it purdy - aluminum stays too shiney for me. We have a place downtown - Davis Salvage who sells all kinds of metallic goodies to fence builders and other rouges. I may be able to adapt some steel scrolls for feet and or handles.

I was thinking of an outer door as well - probably a 1/2 door so the smoke goes up, while the fresh air comes in. Just need to figure out the kinetics of pyrolysis of various carbonaceous materials in a hemispherical vessel - Do I see my PhD thesis using a pizza oven?

Comment

Almost any city of any size will have a place that anodizes aluminum. This is actually a plating process, that produces a layer of abrasive hard crystals on the surface, which can immediately be died (or not). The places that do this will be able to bead blast the surface for a matte finish. Obviously you want to do this to aluminum only: you do this before you apply steel fasteners, or insulation.
                      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by C5dad View Post
                        ...snip... - Do I see my PhD thesis using a pizza oven?

Here in America, you might see a 'dissertation'...

I'm wondering about a concrete stain or acid stain of some kind....?
                        Lee B.
                        DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

That is right - dissertation and then to defend your thesis. UHG - too much thinking - I will permanently stay in the research phase - I like the results and can eat the mistakes.

As for anodizing, that is not really dying. It is more of a surface chemical reaction - worked for a division who plated and polished parts and anodizing was part - think of the MagLites that come out - except for it was jet engine parts! I hated dealing with the spent solutions - a real pita. One could do the waffle pattern on the plate then anodize to keep the matte finish.

As for the acid stain - it is usually a 2 to 3% hydrochloric acid solution with various metal salts dissolved in them and another compound (a mild oxidizer) used to stabilize the dissolved metals. Don't want to do that again - back breaking especially when cleaning the crap off the surface.

Comment

Any bolts or screws you use in the door should be stainless, don't use galvanized or zinc plated it is poisonous.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Geez, I thought my lightly sanded and high temp painted aluminum door came out pretty good (with stainless fasteners, or course)......and you guys are talking about anodizing and acid staining. I guess I am both cheap and easy, thanks for bursting my swelled head.

C5, staying in the research phase is a good thing once you reach the pizza making stage. Staying in the research phase during design and construction just gets you labeled as a procrastinator and a guy who starts projects, but does not complete them. I think I have been called both in the same sentence at least 100 times since being married. Shoot, probably within the past year.

RT

RT

Comment

Working...
                              X