• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TropicalCoasting
    replied
    Re: Saturated oven

Yours isnt a pompei though ????
    Does that make a difference on saturation time
    and are the numbers people talking about for a fully insulated pompei?

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by dimitrisbizakis View Post

Are you sure about that?
    I have read alote of guys in here that they fired there oven for 1-1/2 or 2 hours!
    Yes it is a 80cm pompei oven with 10cm thickness.
    For fully saturated I fire my oven for about 6 hours, its usually for a pizza party..

Leave a comment:

• dimitrisbizakis
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    If you have a Pompeii oven you need to plan on firing 5-8 hours to saturate 4" of masonry, at least.

Are you sure about that?
    I have read alote of guys in here that they fired there oven for 1-1/2 or 2 hours!
    Yes it is a 80cm pompei oven with 10cm thickness.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

If you have a Pompeii oven you need to plan on firing 5-8 hours to saturate 4" of masonry, at least.

Leave a comment:

• rsandler
    replied

I would suggest getting a probe thermometer and installing that through your door. This way you can tell how hot your oven is at various points in time after the door closes. In the first place this will help you figure out how quickly your oven is losing heat after a given amount of fire. Also, if the oven wasn't saturated enough after any given fire, you know that before you go to load the bread (indeed, before you make the dough). Then if need be you can light a new fire to get the oven back up to temperature. If you can't find or don't want to use a probe thermometer, you can also buy a cheap sit-in the oven thermometer. In this case you have to open the door to check on the temperature, so you'll lose more heat. On the other hand, the probe thermometers tend to be less accurate than a proper oven thermometer.

You do want lots of coals when you're getting the oven saturated, as these will force heat down into the floor via conduction. Bigger fire is better. But generally faster burning=fewer coals.

It helps to close the door while the fire is still going, at least on a log or two. If you wait until the fire goes out all the way, the oven is already too cool if you want to bake bread the next day. After a few hours in the still-hot oven (and especially overnight), the remaining logs will break down into coals, and be easier to remove.

Leave a comment:

• dimitrisbizakis
    started a topic Saturated oven

Saturated oven

Hi everyone,
    My question is simple but not easy...
    When i will know that my oven is fully saturated?

I know now, after alote on half done breads, that even if the soot is gone does not mean that your oven is saturated.
    The safest way is to put a probe between the outer side of your dome and the insulation....this is if you are not done with the render, and i am!

Is there another way or i should keep over firing the oven and cutting down each time until i find the right time?

After the fire is gone, do i leave the coals in with the door airtight closed or i need to leave an opening so the coals want go down.

Is a draft door a good choice for fast burning the woods?
    Do i need a fast strong fire with a lot of coals or a slow burning fire and with fewer?
    Last edited by dimitrisbizakis; 08-13-2013, 01:14 PM.
Working...
X