Regards dave
    They sure are!
    Enjoying them as much as i can!

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: Saturated oven

Originally posted by dimitrisbizakis View Post
    Really nice but I have two kids that really need my attention.
    And they grow up much to fast. Enjoy them while you can
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• dimitrisbizakis
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday
    Life's what you think it is. I get the lawn mown early. So I can have a cold beer, tend the fire and what the flames. Doesn't get any better.
    Regards
    Dave
    Really nice but I have two kids that really need my attention.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Life's what you think it is. I get the lawn mown early. So I can have a cold beer, tend the fire and what the flames. Doesn't get any better.
    Regards
    Dave
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	804.9 KB
ID:	297776

Note essential items cold beer, poker and wife is no were to be seen

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Hello, the main problem with quick burning fuel is that you have to stay all the time so you could feed the fire so that the heat is continued all the time.
    Gudday
    Regards
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• dimitrisbizakis
    replied

Gudday
    Doesn't really matter what you use to get the heat into the mass of your oven it all heat really. I use palm frond cause they are always around and a pest to get rid off. There full of oil catch like a bomb and burn away real quick and leave a lot of ash and don't smell that good. But for all that, there are heat.
    Scrape the excess ash out at the end and throw in some good hardwood and you would never know.
    Regards dave
    Hello, the main problem with quick burning fuel is that you have to stay all the time so you could feed the fire so that the heat is continued all the time.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Doesn't really matter what you use to get the heat into the mass of your oven it all heat really. I use palm frond cause they are always around and a pest to get rid off. There full of oil catch like a bomb and burn away real quick and leave a lot of ash and don't smell that good. But for all that, there are heat.
    Scrape the excess ash out at the end and throw in some good hardwood and you would never know.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    Yea, but then you miss the fireworks and neat little holes in your shirts and pants, as well as those nice little ankle warming embers that get caught in the fabric at the top of your shoes...
    Yes, and also the crunchy charcoal-y bits on your pizza. Nom nom.

Leave a comment:

• dimitrisbizakis
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    I think the bigger issue for me is no "pops". Softwood throws out sparks, hardwood burns hotter with no explosions.
    Until now I did have a single pop!
    I don't know why but it burns quietly, big an fast!
    I throw one log once the fire from the previous is gone, i need to baby sit the fire the whole time, I fill the oven as I fiil it with olive branches with a updoen furing it catches all at once and it creates a huge smoke and I 'm afraid that the fir department will arrived just at the time that my neighbors are getting ready to kill me!

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    I think the bigger issue for me is no "pops". Softwood throws out sparks, hardwood burns hotter with no explosions.
    Yea, but then you miss the fireworks and neat little holes in your shirts and pants, as well as those nice little ankle warming embers that get caught in the fabric at the top of your shoes...

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

You chose better wood because of the flavour of the smoke that the wood produce?

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Do you think spruce will be ok for bread?
    Wikipedia European Spruce
    Spruce is much to sappy and soft for pizza but would be fine for bringing oven up to temp or for saturating oven for bread baking and then raking out the coals after heating, try to find a hardwood, fruit trees, oak, hard maple, are good choices.

You may get some tar buildup in your flue from spruce, so you may need to clean your chimney more often when using it.

In your part of the world maybe olive trees. Lemon, apple, orange and nut trees are also good wood to burn, you could bring the oven up to temp with the spruce but switch over to hardwood after the first 45 minutes to hour of firing and switch over to the hardwood.

I know the California folks use almond, we have walnut here and I am not a big fan of the smoke that comes off walnut but that is about the only nut tree I do not like for pizza. But it is a great hardwood for getting up to pizza temps.

My oven heats in 60-90 minutes to pizza temps and I would switch at the 60 minute mark. It does not take much wood to maintain the heat so if your hardwoods are rare or expensive then this would be more economical.

Try to make friends with a furniture builder, they will often have cutoffs that they need to pay to have removed. I am lucky enough to have a brother in law that brings me hardwood cutoffs from his furniture factory. Just be careful not to burn anything that has been stained, varnished or is a ply or glue up.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 09-10-2013, 07:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dimitrisbizakis
    replied

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
    That is correct.
    Do you think spruce will be ok for bread?
    Wikipedia European Spruce

Leave a comment:

• Faith In Virginia
    replied

That is correct.

Leave a comment:

• dimitrisbizakis
    replied

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
    For bread I burn lots of pine. Right now I'm over run with building material cut-off's. So for bread bun anything that makes heat. No worries all my cut-off's are clean wood so no glues or paints and no pressure treated.

Keep in mind with pizza your pizza is in with that wood but with bread the oven is cleared so when I do pizza I chose better wood.
    You chose better wood because of the flavour of the smoke that the wood produce?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X