Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Pompeii Design

Originally posted by snyderadam View Post
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot. While I'm still talking about heat management, does anyone have suggestions about temperature monitoring (i.e. thermocouples, RTD's). I would love to have real-time data about my oven temperatures at specific locations in the dome. I realize that they do not have too much of a practical use once you get to "know" your pizza oven. However, I would love to have this system as a novelty. I already have an infrared gun (rated up to 1000F), but am still interested in a temperature monitoring system. I searched the forums for people who have built this type of system, but did not find too much details on their setup or even specific products they used (brands, type of displays, etc.). What are your thoughts?

Adam
    I'm still in the process of finishing my temperature monitoring system. My plan is for eleven TC's total with a selector switch. I should have them up and working over the next weekend. I have posted some details about them earlier in my thread. Took a look if your interested and I can answer any questions. I'll post more details and pictures on my thread after they are working.
    Respectfully,

KB

My build
    Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Adam,
      I posted the below details on my thread. If you have any questions let me know.

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
      I was able to get my temperature monitoring system up and running over the weekend. Attached are a few pics to show some detail. The temperature controller is mounted in a swing out configuration that can be neatly tuck away to preserve ambiance and satisfy a few critics. I still need to finish the aux jacks and put on the permanent switch location labels and face plate. My final plan is to use the output of the controller to some how control oven temp. If anyone would like some further detail or has any questions ask I will try to help.

Here are my locations:

1 Enclosure top outside insulation air space
      2 Top of dome inside brick, 1" from face
      3 Top of dome on outside brick face
      4 Right side mid dome inside 1" from brick face
      5 Right side mid dome on outside brick face
      6 Floor right on outside brick face
      7 Floor center on outside brick face
      8 Left side mid dome inside 1" from brick face
      9 Left side mid dome on outside brick face
      10 Aux 1 temperature jack
      11 Aux 2 temperature jack
      Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Hey KB,

I would love to hear how your temperature monitoring system works out for you. I am starting to side against a fixed thermocouple meter because of its limitations. Here are some options I found for a four-channel thermocouple configuration.

4-Channel Handheld Data Logger Thermometer:
        4-Channel Handheld Data Logger Thermometer

Snap-In Panel Jacks for Standard Size Connectors:
        Panel Jack Connectorss for Thermocouples

I would plan on running four thermocouples to a weather-proof junction box adjacent to the arch of the oven. I would use the snap in panel jacks to serve as my "plug-and-play" system for my handheld data logger. I still have to find out more information from the company about mapping out this wiring configuration and installation of the thermocouples.

Adam

Comment

I'm curious if you're contemplating adding some sort of automated controls for dampers, or a means of moving the coals around the floor of the oven?

Comment

Hey Paul,

Thanks for your input previously, sorry I didn't reply to it because I was not sure what exactly you were trying to comment on the quote of mine you posted. Perhaps you were thinking I was going to attempt to automate my heat management with the use of temperature monitoring. This is not my goal. I would like to add thermocouples just to monitor (and possibly log) the temperature in various regions of my oven. This would be a bonus novelty to my build. I like numerical data that corresponds to the physical behaviors of materials.

For the first design I posted (with the external firebox), I have decided that the cost is to high for the benefit of this design. I will most likely settle with a true "black oven". This past weekend I constructed my KS4-Plus test bricks and are going to prep all of my refractory bricks to be tested for heat cycling.

Thank you,
            Adam

Comment

Originally posted by snyderadam View Post
              Hey KB,

I would love to hear how your temperature monitoring system works out for you. I am starting to side against a fixed thermocouple meter because of its limitations. Here are some options I found for a four-channel thermocouple configuration.

4-Channel Handheld Data Logger Thermometer:
              4-Channel Handheld Data Logger Thermometer

Snap-In Panel Jacks for Standard Size Connectors:
              Panel Jack Connectorss for Thermocouples

I would plan on running four thermocouples to a weather-proof junction box adjacent to the arch of the oven. I would use the snap in panel jacks to serve as my "plug-and-play" system for my handheld data logger. I still have to find out more information from the company about mapping out this wiring configuration and installation of the thermocouples.

Adam
              Originally posted by Paul_H View Post
              I'm curious if you're contemplating adding some sort of automated controls for dampers, or a means of moving the coals around the floor of the oven?
              Adam,
              Cool Idea with data a logger. A little pricey for me. My goal was to have a inexpensive monitoring system I could play with, I have about $100 max into it. I think I met my goal. The data would another cool toy. Can't wait to see what ya come up with.

Paul,
              Not sure if your question is directed to me ,but yes damper or fan to control oxygen to the fire in the oven and control temperature. Just a idea
              Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Hello guys. Thought I'd just mention I decided to build an igloo Pompeii style oven with a grill pit beside it. If anyone wants a picture of the current state let me know please.

Adam

Comment

I also forgot I'll be posting a YouTube video on the project soon. Can't wait to finalize it. Oh and I wasn't active on the thread during this summer because I was VERY busy with the project and work. I guess some things in life come at a cost.

Adam

Comment

Working...
                  X