Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my Oven Hot Enough???

Hi Guys

After having my Oven for a while now and only started using it often (Like once a month) in last 4 months, I've been learning more and more about how to manage it.

Without a therm though, it's hard to tell exactly whether my oven is at the right temp other than the few things I've notice below.

1. Flour takes just a few seconds to brown when thrown on the oven floor
    2. I just make it past 2 Mississippi's and I have to pull my hand back because of the scorching heat.
    3. In terms of visual, the sooth from the oven clears up almost all over after about 4 hours since firing it up.

All of the above suggest that my oven is up to Pizza Temp however with regards to no. 3, I do notice that the sooth opposite the fire and closest to the side where my pizza's bake does not clear up entirely. I always light my fire on the left hand side and bake on the right - the back and side closest to the fire clears up completely and the oven it white however the opposite side has black spots around it.

Is this normal or do I need to get rid of those black spots but firing up the oven even hire or perhaps lighting the fire on the right side and once oven is up to temp move it to the left side - this way both sides get a fair share of the live flames.

Thanks

Re: Is my Oven Hot Enough???

1. It should burn instantly.
    2. You should not be able to put your arm into the oven.
    3. The soot clears from top to bottom, but that is surface temp only.

I fire mine for 4+ hours, and it is a tiny barrel vault (22x36 floor) with 3" thick walls and 2-1/2" thick floor.

Comment

Light your fire in the middle, then push it back to clear for Pizza; if the soot is clearing, it's hot enough.

ps - I got a cheapie infra-red thermometer on eBay for less than ?10, works fine as a guide.
      Build thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/m...sts-20752.html

Comment

Your oven could be hotter. My oven (39" Pompeii) is plenty hot and completely cleared after two hours of firing, but takes another 90 min to get 850F-saturated. At this point there is a significant difference in crust quality.

It takes a bit of testing, but the pizzaiolo matches the dough formula to the heat profile of the optimally-fired oven, not the other way around.

Comment

Check out the link in this post for a good overview of lighting/managing temp in your oven

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f17/...ood-19121.html

It really should only take a couple hours to get your oven up to pizza temps. You may just need more fire. (said loud, like MOAR FAHR!)

Also, as others recommended - an IR thermometer can be had for cheap. Check Amazon, Newegg, or one of many direct-from-China eBay sellers if you are non-USA.
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

The semolina flour test for floor temp is this.

Push the fire aside and sweep or blow the ash so it's clean.
            cast about 1/3 tsp of semolina flour into the middle of the oven.
            If it turns black in 2 secs, floor of oven is a little hot (this always happens for my oven so I cook the first pizza closer to the oven mouth, in fact half in the entry, where the floor is cooler)
            If it turns black in 3 secs floor is perfect temp.
            If it turns black in 4 secs the floor is not hot enough (to cook 2 min pizzas)

This tried and true test has been used by the Italians for a couple of centuries.It's also a good party trick to impress guests.

It sounds like you could be more aggressive with your heat up fires. If the oven has not been used for a while, even though it may not have got wet, it will pick up moisture from the atmosphere and can be harder or slower to get to temp.Firing the oven a day or two after a cook up usually results in a more rapid temp rise and easier to get to pizza temp.
            Last edited by david s; 01-02-2015, 11:40 AM.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

if possible i normally fire my oven the night before a pizza party just to get some heat through the oven and drive any moisture out of the oven it may have absorbed since it was last fired, then when the coals have died down shut up the door for the night which lets the heat equalize through the bricks then the next day the ovens sat at around 150c (300f) and its a doddle to refire up to pizza temps.

i always fire using the upside down fire method, build it near the front opening to start then when it get going push it to the back portion of the oven then i find the flames roll right up and round the dome fairly evenly, also i don't fire too harshly as i think any flames licking out the door and up the flue are just wasted heat

all the best
              keith
              my build,
              http://ukwoodfiredovenforum.proboards.com/thread/1209

my door,
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f17/...oor-21345.html

Comment

Working...
              X