Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you get your kindling?

This is the companion poll to "How do you start you oven?"

I used an axe yesterday to split my larger wood. First, I split the cruddy wet pine into kindling -- about 1" or less. Then, I split some of my nice oak into 2" pieces for a hot burning fire during pizza baking. For my main firing I used the oak un-split.

What do you do? Use an axe, or a sledge hammer and maul? Buy it? Pay someone to do it?

I'm looking for inspiration on this one. I don't really want to have to take out my axe every time I make pizza. :-)

James
    I make it with an axe
    70.59%
    I make it with a sledge hammer and maul
    5.88%
    I make it with power wood splitter
    11.76%
    I buy it already split
    11.76%
    I pay someone to split my wood for me
    0.00%
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Where do you get your kindling?

My 'power splitter' is manually operated. Purchased from Northern Tools

Able to split half a cord of seasoned oak pretty fats and end up with the sixe pieces I need for starting, and building up a big blaze.

Comment

Nice. How much was it?

Electric, gas?

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Cool. I've never seen a manual one before.

Northern Industrial Horizontal Log Splitter — 10-Ton, Manual Hydraulic | Log Splitters | Northern Tool + Equipment

I'm getting too old and stiff to do much splitting with a sledge and wedges.
        Last edited by dmun; 04-07-2008, 12:21 PM.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
          Cool. I've never seen a manual one before.

Northern Industrial Horizontal Log Splitter ? 10-Ton, Manual Hydraulic | Log Splitters | Northern Tool + Equipment

I'm getting too old and stiff to do much splitting with a sledge and wedges.
          I bought one like this.....

It didn't last the weekend..............

Had to get a refund.
          My thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
          My costs:
          http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
          My pics:
          http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

I actually bought one of those exact tools last week, used it some, but most of the logs I had are 24 inches instead of the max 18 inch length it calls for. I went back and forth between my maul and the new splitter. If you have any bad spots in the wood, it split that direction (i.e. the top bit breaks off or something like that, then you get one log, half split)

No what I did find at Northern was a big freakin torch that scared me the first time I used it. Hooked it up to a propane tank, and presto, instant fire in like 3-5 minutes. I kept if running and got pizza hot in about 40 minutes without using a ton of wood. I think it was about $65 bucks.

Forget paper and matches and candle lighters! I'll make a video over the weekend, have a pizza party for about 28 planned for Saturday.

Comment

Not to ruin the fun of splitting logs - I've cut, split, thrown and stacked a chord and a half in the last week, but here's an option for this poll: My neighbor is a wood worker and has more mill ends and waste than I can keep up with. Craigs list has numerous people selling these same things for very very low prices. $50 for a truckload of oak, maple etc, all very very dry. A very easy way to build a fire and it burns hot right off the bat. Check the phone book for cabinet shops. I guarantee they all have similar products that they'd kill to get out of their shops for free.

One more is cedar shake for roofing. Not to hard to come by disposed of cedar. Check with roofing contractors in your area.
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Great idea George,

I'll start looking tomorrow. We have a couple of door, window and cabinet shops locally.
                James
                Last edited by james; 04-07-2008, 08:44 PM.
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Wood is still a major fuel in Turkey for both cooking and heating so the chances of freebies are non-existent. We have dealers for charcoal, kindling and firewood or as a resident I can buy direct from the forestry department.

As an aside these are the only forestry people I know that carry guns. Producing charcoal for sale is a lucrative and organised business but the government is manic about forestry management. If I were to be caught taking timber of any kind a big fine is the result and my vehicle is subject to seizure.

Comment

I save scraps ....even been known to dive for them.

Old bits of pine molding, doors, window frames, pallets, etc.....very easy to split up and they burn very fast...
                    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

My kindling just turns up all by itself:

Whenever I go for a walk in the woods with my kiddies they start collecting all kinds of sticks - to use as swords, fishing rods, walking sticks, whatever. And when we get home they all magically turn into kindling (the swords, not the children).

You didn't put that option in the poll though...
                      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I pay $10 for kiln dried oak kindling at my firewood lot. The bag is about 2.5' x 1' x .5'. I developed some tennis elbow from splitting my own with my hatchet and maul and figured purchasing oak is cheaper than physical therapy. The folks at the firewood lot will also let you pick up as much kindling as you can find on the ground for free, but last time I had them deliver the wood so...
                        My Oven Thread:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
                          I bought one like this.....

It didn't last the weekend..............

Had to get a refund.

Sorry about your experience. Have had mine for almost 2 years and have used for three cords of seasoned oak - still working fine. Really takes the labor out of the equation and since it is manual - quiet. Only sound is that nice to hear crackking sound of the wood.

Highly recommend.

Comment

I use an axe for the larger pieces. James, you can axe a few while heating up the oven in no time. I also go to out wood guy and pick up tons of it when needed I have seen ads in craigs list up here about mill ends for free. I guess I could check that out too, as well as the cabinet shops. More the better.
                            An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

I also use sticks picked up from walks. In fact this is my primary source of oven fuel. I usually walk the dog most days and cannot resist collecting wood. We fire the oven about once a week I find sticks are great fuel combined with about one branch no thicker than my wrist.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                              X