Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: How hot is the outside of your igloo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poll: How hot is the outside of your igloo?

Just brought my first fire up to pizza cooking temp on Sunday. Internal floor temp was 550-600, the exterior dome was 95-105 with the ambient temp around 70. It was warm to the touch but could have left my hand there indefinitely. Since I scratch built the dome... I'll take it. The dome shell is only 2" fire brick, 3200 degree 2" ceramic blanket and 3-4" layer of perlite cement. I have no idea how this stacks up to the benchmark but for my needs I believe it will work out just fine. We will make our first pizza this weekend so I will find out soon enough.

Comment

Finally got my igloo to temp a couple of times now. Isolation is 2" blanket covered with that metal mesh to hold the stucco. The stucco is mixed with perlite and runs around an inch thick. With the oven up to temp (soot clear) the outside is just a little warmer than ambient
      Capt. Paul
      Granite Falls WA, USA.
      Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Mn8tr,
        Your oven is insulated pretty well so your vermicrete layer must still be wet if the oven is hot on the outside.Keep firing, it will probably take about another 10 firings to get it really dry. You should then find that after a couple of hours firing your oven should be barely warm on the outside. To be safe you'd be better to only roast and bake in the oven for a while. Ie don't take the temp up too high or you risk damaging the outer igloo shell.Curing fires should be done before the final stucco shell IMO so the water from the vermicrete layer is eliminated before doing the final stucco. You have added tons of water to that vermicrete layer and it takes time to get rid of it. Forget pizza until it's properly dry.
        Last edited by david s; 09-24-2012, 01:23 PM.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I have a Primavera 60 and I had the oven at 900' the other night and the outside of the oven was a cool as a cucumber! I love it!

Comment

Working...
          X