Greetings,
    My first build Large WFO in India
    Now i am starting a second build.
    The stats:
    construction style :igloo
    cooking floor dia :5 feet
    internat dome hight :18 inches
    dome material :fire bricks
    cooking floor material: fire bricks/ soapstone( depends on availability)
    insulation above dome : 24 inches porosil (EX-FOLIATED VERMICULITE)
    insulation below floor from top to bottom: fire bricks 3 inches,crushed glass 3 inches,porosil and fine sand mix 5 inches, cement sheet 0.7 inches and finally 1mm of galvanized sheet metal.
    chimney material :6 inch dia stainless steel pipe.

i just spoke to another supplier who can provide me with calcium silicate board should i use that for insulating the floor?
    the questions i have are
    1) do i have too much insulation below the floor?
    2)should porosil alone be enough for insulating the dome?
    3)should i go barrel vaulted instead of an igloo style as i have already built one which is larger and has been in constant operational for the past year?
    Last edited by 1 strover; 04-15-2013, 12:31 AM.
    My first build

“Every morning in a jungle, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.”

Re: Second Large WFO in India

Originally posted by 1 strover View Post
    the questions i have are
    1) do i have too much insulation below the floor?
    Ditch the glass and sand, they are not insulators.
    2)should porosil alone be enough for insulating the dome?
    It should be fine.
    3)should i go barrel vaulted instead of an igloo style as i have already built one which is larger and has been in constant operational for the past year?
    They both work fine, its your choice.
    The chimney is way too small.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

here are a few pictures
      one is a heavy steel frame i made out of 12 gauge 2x4 box section.
      in the second picture you see the frame and the last made out of wood for the dome. plan to keep the last in there till the mortar dries and then burn it in the oven itself.
      My first build

“Every morning in a jungle, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.”

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
          The chimney is way too small.
          noted and size increased thanks
          My first build

Comment

Gretings ,
            i havent been post any updates as i havent made any progress till date due to the summer vacations we had over the past couple of months, this is the time when my restaurant is at its busiest. i have above 4000 guests eating every day. now we have entered the monsoon season here and now we have time to build.

i had a few questions which would make it clearer for me on how best to proceed.

in the meanwhile i have acquired
            200 mm (7.75 in) thick calcium silicate board which i would use as floor insulation. i know it may be overkill
            300 kg of EX-FOLIATED VERMICULITE
            30 bags of castable concreete mix with VERMICULITE

My question is as follows
            from the bottom up this is how i plan to layer the oven
            1)mild steel stand which was made pictures of which are posted a couple posts above.
            2)1.5mm galvanised steel sheet
            3) calcium silicate board
            4) castable slab 4 inches
            5)fire bricks for the oven floor.

is my layering good or should i be layering this differently?
            My first build

Comment

I think (4) is not needed. If you do use it, it should be number 3, followed by Calcium Silicate board, then fire bricks. But 7.5 CSB in more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
                I think (4) is not needed. If you do use it, it should be number 3, followed by Calcium Silicate board, then fire bricks. But 7.5 CSB in more than enough.
                thanks a ton for the reply
                will having them in the order i've listed increase heating mass ?(hold heat for longer?
                as i also intend to bake around 100 1800 gm loaves of bread every morning.
                My first build

Comment

Originally posted by 1 strover View Post
                  thanks a ton for the reply
                  will having them in the order i've listed increase heating mass ?(hold heat for longer?
                  as i also intend to bake around 100 1800 gm loaves of bread every morning.
                  Instead of the slab, I would increase my mass by laying my firebrick hearth on their side, rather than flat.

Comment

so some more progress made today.
                    guess what i am welding?

My first build

Comment

today i have a few pictures to post, i was on holiday followed by a work trip to china to be followed by a holiday in another 2 days i only get back on the 15 th by when i shall have a functioning oven.
                      so here goes.

the stand with 4.5 inch calcium silicate board on it

my staff cutting the calcium silicate board to size

insulation cut and starting install

cutting bricks to size there has been a shit load of cutting to taper the bricks.

few more to post
                      My first build

Comment

there is a lot happening in this picture, i made a steel reenforcement strap around the base we are tightening it here, increased a layer of bricks on the bottom, changed the pattern of the bricks for the base to a double brick herringbone doing this ment i had fewer smaller peaces around the edges.

a mock up of the arch

so i have a few more pictures to post form yesterday and today, believe it or not all this was done in one day.
                        My first build

Comment

Impressive build. What flue size did you decide on? I still see a 6 inch listed in your first post. I would recommend a 10 inch ID flue for that size oven. It also looks like you decided to exceed the 18 inch inside height.

Are you going to lay your dome Bricks vertical? I think that may lead to excessive mortar exposure between the sides of the bricks. I would reconsider and lay them flat.
                          Last edited by mrchipster; 07-29-2013, 05:09 AM.
                          Chip

Comment

so here goes of what happened yesterday

did one layer for the dome , also added a 12 mm steel plate for the floor at the door as there is tons of wear and tear and wanted this oven to last me long.

a mock up of the door arch , all the plate steel used was bought by my grand father off a old ship that was being cut apart in the late 60's so i guess the steel is real old.

a wider view of the work site. by this time we have completed 2 layers.

more to come in a few hours
                            My first build

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                              Impressive build. What flue size did you decide on? I still see a 6 inch listed in your first post. I would recommend a 10 inch ID flue for that size oven.
                              well thats been upgraded to a 6.25 inch ID SS pipe going 26 feet straight up, i have been assured that the height will create enough of draft and compensate for the narrow pipe.
                              and if this fails i have made provisions for a 10 inch pipe.
                              i already have the 6.25 inch pipe form a previous build. so want to try that out first.

It also looks like you decided to exceed the 18 inch inside height.
                              that has gone up too its now at 24 inches,
                              it was not all that practical to do the 18 inch dome (looked too unstable to me )

Are you going to lay your dome Bricks vertical? I think that may lead to excessive mortar exposure between the sides of the bricks. I would reconsider and lay them flat.
                              do you mean on the inside of the dome? or on the outside as i am confused,
                              ii side the dome there is very little to none mortar being seen at the seems but on the outside is a whole different story.
                              there are big wedges where i need mortar to be filled and larger crevices.
                              Last edited by 1 strover; 07-29-2013, 05:58 AM. Reason: read the question wrong and answered it wrong.
                              My first build

Comment

Working...
                              X