Pizza oven as bun warmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza oven as bun warmer

We stayed in an Embassy Suites in Sacramento while visiting the state capital and various museums. My funny story is that they have have one of the U.S. made, gas-fired pizza ovens in the restaurant in full display. It looks OK, but to give you an idea of how hot it was -- they were using the oven as a bun warmer between cooking the pizzas. Really! And they leave the tray of bread in the oven for minutes before putting warm bread out on the counter.

I was afraid to watch how long the pizzas were taking.

I guess the lesson is that having a dome oven does not mean the restaurant makes good pizza. :-)

James
    Last edited by james; 04-28-2008, 08:55 PM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Pizza oven as bun warmer

There's an "upscale" diner in Bloomfield NJ that has a gas fired woodstone. I one time watched them make a pizza in it. The cook spent about the first half of the six minute cook time poking the pizza with an angled metal prod, no doubt to discourage that annoying oven spring. About half way through the cook time he pulled it to the entry with a turning peel, and turned the thing around WITH HIS FINGERS! I almost fell out of my booth laughing.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I sometimes turn my pizza with my fingers...why is that sooo funny...huh...I just have to do it really quickly!!!
      Dutch
      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Ohhh, the humanity! Fingers? Dutch, Dutch, Dutch!!
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I tried to turn one with my fingers out of reflex once... It was ok because I don't have any hair on my hands that could get singed.

...But have any of you ever got melted fingernails from your ovens?
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

While we are baking for our farmer's market I have gone weeks without hair on my right arm...no melted fingernails though...I think the polish on nails could be an issue though....but I don't wear any....not when I'm cooking at least...
            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

No doubt black nail polish and a black cape, huh Dutch!

The vid posted on another thread recently showed the same technique. Practice with a round pizza turner. It gets easier.
              GJBingham

-

Comment

Lesson 1
                Hot bricks and pizza stones look exactly like cold bricks and pizza stones

Lesson 2
                Hot pizza looks like cold pizza
                Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

George
                  Why yes I have worn a black cape in my day...not the nail polish though...looks way too gothic...I am a semi-professional magician(close up sleight of hand and parlor magic...no big illusion) so the cape fits at times
                  Dutch

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                  No doubt black nail polish and a black cape, huh Dutch!

The vid posted on another thread recently showed the same technique. Practice with a round pizza turner. It gets easier.

Comment

Goth garb is probably a death wish in Mississippi anyway, huh?

I never stopped there on either of my coast to coast drives along the Gulf Coast. Kept the speedometer right on the legal limit so that I wouldn't end up bent over some po-dunk town's sheriff car, pants around my ankles, wondering why I'm squeeling like a pig. I saw Macon County Line and Deliverance years ago. The images don't fade. Don't slow down. Just keep driving!

A prestidigitator? I thought you were also a golf teacher???? What's the real story Dutch?? Are you fooling us? Do you even own a WFO ???
                    GJBingham

-

Comment

Yes, I am all those things...and yes a WFO owner...have to do a lot of different stuff to make a living around here...have had our experiences in the "kangaroo" courts around here...not fun
                      Dutch

Comment

Working...
                      X