Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windage
    replied
    Re: 81 Inch First Build (and first post)

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
    Admitedly this is a different beast than a home oven...
    But from your description it does not sound like you have insulation under the hearth. It that correct?
    -----
    Answer my own question and ask another...

I now see that you have some perlcrete going in. So bricks going on top of that? It does not look like enough insulation to me...

Drake
    Drake, I hope the 3 inches of perlite is enough to keep the big heat off the concrete pad below...otherwise...oopps.

My inspiration for this oven came from a build by a former MHA member / instructor, who has less hearth brick and insulation than mine. I modified the one seen in the video by adding more hearth depth and insulation. I really didn't have an exact pattern to follow, just data and hunch.

YouTube - Building of a wood-burning pizza oven.

Roger
    Last edited by windage; 03-01-2010, 09:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Heh heh. you chamfered your arch just like me. I must have done something right.

Golly, you could sleep in that thing when it's cold. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• DrakeRemoray
    replied

Admitedly this is a different beast than a home oven...
    But from your description it does not sound like you have insulation under the hearth. It that correct?
    -----
    Answer my own question and ask another...

I now see that you have some perlcrete going in. So bricks going on top of that? It does not look like enough insulation to me...

Drake
    Last edited by DrakeRemoray; 03-01-2010, 09:00 AM. Reason: Answer my own question and ask another...

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Shuboyje,
    The design is a morphing together of a fast fire pizza oven with a bread baker...the hearth is 1 layer of brick on flat..2 1/2 inch and an upper layer of soapstone, also 2 1/2...(total 5inch thick hearth) so, not as thick of a hearth as bread oven, but I hope the soapstone which is supposed to be quick to heat will bounce dome heat to pizza crust. Yes, I hope to push out a lot of pizza ! Finished arch height will be 13.5 inches or so....

Exposed gun? Goodness sakes!!, guns are dangerous, aren't they? haha...This is rural KY, we are still sovereign free citizens here. There is truly a "gun behind every blade of grass".

I finished high school in a little town called Northville MI, and visit my sister on Silver Lake in Green Twnsp often. My dad's family is from Roseville, what part of Detroit are you in?
    Last edited by windage; 03-01-2010, 08:06 AM. Reason: added question

Leave a comment:

• shuboyje
    replied

Holly cow. How many pizzas are you planning to cook in that monster? I assume they will be a more traditional pie and not a 90 second naples style? You must be putting one thick floor in to bring that arch into ratio for a 24" dome.

I also love that you are pictured with gun in holster fully exposed, lol.

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Inner arch laid up;

Spreading the perl-crete;

Roger

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Earlier pics of the hearth slab pour. It projects into the kitchen space through the wall.

Roger

My home-converted wet saw;

Arch pillars;

Leave a comment:

• windage
    started a topic 81 Inch First Build (and first post)

81 Inch First Build (and first post)

I am building a pizza shop in a new location in my hometown of Vanceburg, KY. My previous shops used double stacked Bakers Pride gas fired, stone hearth ovens, but the gas bill gets crazy!
    I have been researching WFOs for a while..joined here in '07 but this is my first post. Joined MHA and will attend the week long outing this April, really looking forward to meeting all the guys I have been seeing in photos doing the builds of bake ovens and heaters.
    This oven is built on a sturdy block and concrete pad, the bottom of which is hollow to recieve ashes through a cast iron ash dump. Most of the bricks were locally made and found in piles around home of workers, who took them home free to put around flower beds and such..the arch pillars are 9 x 4.5 x 18. This oven will be 6ft 9 inch inside and 24" tall dome, thick walls and perlite insulation.
    Perhaps I should have started out building a smaller one at home, but I need this one first. I intended to have one of the guys from MHA build it, but things just didn't come together and I chose to go it alone...learning alot too!
    Hope to be open sometime in April.

Working...
X