This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forno Bravo Door

Forno Bravo is gearing up to make a steel front door for Pompeii Oven builders. The door is 19"W x 12"H at the top of the curve, and starts to curve upward at 10"H. This will allow it to work with both flat, lintel-based openings, and curved openings. They are painted black, and have a scrolled handle that holds the door in place to seal closed your oven and holds it upright when it is sitting on a counter.

They look like the door you see in the Casa graphic here: http://fornobravo.com/residential_pi...izza_oven.html

Before we have the first batch made, I wanted to double check that this size sounds good to a majority of you. We are having them made by the same company that makes our Cucina oven stand (who luckily is related to someone who works for Forno Bravo), so we know they will come out nice.

Let me know what you think of the size. They will be in the Forno Bravo Store shortly.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Looks nice, but not my size. . .

I need something that is 9 X 18". I think I'll have to make it out of wood with insulation. Getting a good seal will be a challenge.
    There is nothing quite so satisfying as drinking a cold beer, while tending a hot fire, in an oven that you built yourself, and making the best pizza that your friends have ever had.

Comment

Seal

Fio,

I made my own door, VERY carefully. However, it still does not seal entirely unless I lean a spare brick against it. Sometimes, simple is good.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Re: Forno Bravo Door

James

My door is a cast metal door with twin sliding dampers on the bottom and a peep hole above. It is a commercial variety I believe was made in Spain. I am hoping to use the peep hole to make steam. It has two wooden handles perpendicular to the flat door and two small feet to keep it in place. It mates to a angle iron frame on the oven. I use two small wooden wedges under the feet to keep it in place.

39 cm wide, 37 cm high....

I can send pictures in a week when I get my camera if interested.

Jim
        sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Oven Door Photo

Here is the shot of the door to my oven.

Comment

XJ Door

Okay, now it's painted and I varnished the handles...looks a lot better!

Comment

So is this door supposed to be for the oven itself (meaning behind the vent) or the opening to the vent/landing area. I'm trying to figure out if I should change my oven door opening dimension so that I can use the door there but then I would have to insulate it somehow to make it work.

Comment

Good design and decorative make people attract to u.
                large tote bags

Comment

James
                  Can you purchase the door on its owen?
                  Tony

Comment

Re: Hebel door?

Hello people,
                    Anyone used lightweight concrete (Hebel) to form a door. My current door is a concrete door which I boxed and poured myself. It seals really well and the only reason I'm thinking of another alternative is that the door weighs a ton!!! Hebel panels are around 75mm thick and can be cut and shaped with a diamond blade. They are supposed to have good insulating properties too. Whar do you think? Happy cooking,
                    Geoff

Comment

Gudday
                      Check out the "Tips" section I have built 2 doors from hebel both of which work well

Regards Dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks Dave
                        I'll check it out. Best wishes from sunny Tassie

Comment

How thick is your Hebel? When I tried it the stuff cracked after a while. This happened twice so I gave up on Hebel. Mine was only one inch thick though.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi David, I am planning to use the 75mm stuff.

Comment

Gudday
                              My first temperary door cracked as it was 2 pieces of hedel bolted to 2 x pieces of 10 mm ply ( didn't have one big enough piece of ply). Even cracked I'm still using it a year later in that condition. Mark 11 will be silasticed....no bolts and a little more give between the hebel and the face. A thicker face...less flex between the surfaces.... probably ply with a hardwood face. Finally what if it cracks again...what the heck....its only $8 of hebel....and hardly any effort to carve another. Oh before I forget 75mm (3in) hebel again it stoped the heat in Mk 1 only a little heat marks around the bolt holes... no charing. 75mm will protect the silastic as well.

Regards Dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                              X