Is a flue liner necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a flue liner necessary?

I understand the role a flue liner plays in a residential fireplace chimney, but is it really necessary in an outdoor setting? I was thinking of just building a double wall chimney and capping it on the top with a piece of slate. Any advice?

Re: Is a flue liner necessary?

That will work fine, it's just that a couple of lengths of 8" flue tile are MUCH cheaper than what you could build with firebrick.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
      That will work fine, it's just that a couple of lengths of 8" flue tile are MUCH cheaper than what you could build with firebrick.
      You dont need firebricks for a chimney, most chimneys are built using normal bricks.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

You do not need firebrick, but if you are going by code, you need flue liner. It is faster and cheaper to use flue than to build a double wall chimney, anyway. For my BBQ pit chimney, I just built single wythe brick, but the heat going up an oven flue is much higher, plus all the joints will make creosote buildup an issue.

Comment

Md's question had nothing to do with the type of brick - just a way to get it done. Dude, your approach to the vent will work. I would go with Davids suggestion of using a clay liner. They are inexpensive and readily available - worked for me.
          Last edited by Les; 06-08-2011, 07:11 AM. Reason: Added verbiage so it made sense???
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
            Md's question had nothing to with brick..
            So now everyone has more knowledge.
            Last edited by brickie in oz; 06-07-2011, 11:40 PM.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

OK, I'll stop bucking the system now Clay flue liner it is.

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                Okay - I cannot get 8x8 square clay flue tile in may area. There's only 8" round clay flue tile - and the next smallest is 8x13 oval.

The 8" round is outside diameter - giving me an inside diameter of around 6".

Is that going to work?

I'd note that the 8" square clay flue liners from Superior are also outside dimensions . . .

thanks -
                Dan

Comment

Round is better, 8" round should be fine. The (very rough) rule of thumb is 10% of the opening is the size flue required. Bigger is generally better, espcially with square or rectangular flues. So if you have an 18"wX16"H opening (288 SqIn), then a flue in the neighborhood of 28-30 SqIn is good. A 6" flue gives you 28.27 SqIn, so it should work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                    Round is better, 8" round should be fine. The (very rough) rule of thumb is 10% of the opening is the size flue required. Bigger is generally better, espcially with square or rectangular flues. So if you have an 18"wX16"H opening (288 SqIn), then a flue in the neighborhood of 28-30 SqIn is good. A 6" flue gives you 28.27 SqIn, so it should work just fine.
                    My entry arch is 12" high, 19" wide. Here it is:

I figure I've got a 2.5" x 19" rectangle at the bottom of the arch, or 47.5 sq.in. and roughly 1/2 of a 9.5" radius circle, or 283.5 sq.in. / 2 = 141.75 sq.in. Total = 47.5 + 141.75 = 189.25 sq.in. opening in my entry arch. My 6" inside dia. clay flue is 28.27 sq.in which gives me a flue of approximately 15% of my oven opening. Sounds like that's more than sufficient . . .

Time to press on.

Comment

Nice view.

Comment

Working...
                      X