Chimney and Roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney and Roof

I'm getting to the point where my side walls (exterior walls) are starting to reach where the base of the chimney will be...

Do people have pictures of how the linked their chimney to the outer roof? I'm probably going with a gable design, with the chimney in the middle... and am struggling as to getting an extension "forward" to cover the cook... The chimney is right in the way of the central beam...

M.

Re: Chimney and Roof

Refer to Ken's build. He had the same issue and did an excellent job. This should get you close.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/m...e-3002-21.html
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks - but Ken's done something crucially different... nominally, he's using metal beams to build the enclosure and will then add cladding.

That's a little hard to find in the UK - my enclosure is made entirely of clay bricks.

M.

Comment

You are making a gabled roof out of clay bricks?
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I'm a bit confused too.

I'm not sure what you mean by "linking" your chimney to the roof. Chimneys need to pass through the roof and maintain 2" min air space from the framework. Box out where the chimney will pass through and flash it prevent water penetration. If you want an over hang to shelter your cooking area, you could build a prow roof like this....

Click image for larger version

Name:	new 055.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	477.7 KB
ID:	294494
          Last edited by stonecutter; 05-07-2013, 06:59 PM. Reason: typo
          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
          John Ruskin

Comment

Stonecutter - that pretty much exactly what I want to do. The only differences are I'm thinking slate tiles on the top, and bricks on the sides.

Do you have any pictures of the underlying structure or frame of the roof before you tiled it? I.e. how is the roof held onto the walls? What stops a gust of wind blowing it off? How do you get "around" the chimney to make the prow? How does the flashing work? Did you embed it in the mortar? Does it go over or under the roof's tiles?

M.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinal View Post
              Stonecutter - that pretty much exactly what I want to do. The only differences are I'm thinking slate tiles on the top, and bricks on the sides.

Do you have any pictures of the underlying structure or frame of the roof before you tiled it? I.e. how is the roof held onto the walls? What stops a gust of wind blowing it off? How do you get "around" the chimney to make the prow? How does the flashing work? Did you embed it in the mortar? Does it go over or under the roof's tiles?

M.
              Spinal,

No offense intended here, but it sounds like you are in way over your head going this route. Have you considered just cladding the oven and building a simple roof over it? There is no way I can walk you through every question you asked...it would be a mile long thread. But here is a generic response, maybe it will help a little.

The roof isn't tile, they are cedar hand split shakes, and the roof and walls are conventional framing...I have no pictures. Try Google for framing techniques.

If your enclosure walls are masonry, then you need to anchor a wooden top plate for something to attach your rafters to. You can imbed anchor bolts or use tapcons ( masonry screws) if your bond beam is good and solid.

You could make things easier if you off-set the chimney so it doesn't exit through the center of the roof. Flashing is still a necessity though....another Google subject. I could tell you how, but there is no point since the chimney isn't built. But to answer your questions...the flashing has to insert into the masonry on the chimney..yes. And it would go under your roof tiles or shingles. If you choose to counter flash it ( best practice ) that would lay on top of the roof material...don't nail it down.

Hope that helps a little....remember - Google is your friend.
              Last edited by stonecutter; 05-08-2013, 05:31 AM.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Too late regarding just cladding the oven - the side walls are already built

I had a read through your build thread - that was quite helpful (At least, I think it was yours). I think my next steps are to go and buy the wood required for the frame, then once I have a frame put together I'll build up the outer chimney and have the flashing in there before starting on the roof covering.

Here goes nothing
                M.

Comment

Post up some pics as you go, if you get jammed up I'm sure you will get help from here.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                  X