Attaching Flue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching Flue

We have finished our vent and are about to attach the flue. I have read that you should only use a small amount of morter to attach it. How much is sufficent? Just a small smear of morter up the side of the flue and down on the firebrick it's resting on an inch or two up? Also we are planning on making a brick chimney around the flue. I saw there should be a gap between the brick and the flue. How big a gap? Is there any reason we shouldn't use regular brick for the chimney? I've attached photos. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks

Re: Attaching Flue

Gudday
    Normal bricks are more than enough and lighter as well . I would leave a space around the ceramic flue to take into account Expantion. You could even put some insulation between the flue and brick if you like
    I really do admire your arch that is very good work . I think you should post it at the top of the forum page for all to admire!
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Dave,
      Thanks so much for the reply and kind complement! Sorry not to have replied sooner. Here's a photo of what it looks like now. All we're waiting on is a delivery of the ceramic blanket. Once we get the dome insullated we'll stucco it over and start the curing process! I can't wait to get the oven fired up! Thanks again!

Comment

Nice looking oven! You can (and probably should) start curing before you put on the insulation and stucco.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

deejayoh,
          Thanks for the kind complement. We're stating to cure it today (pre insulation and stucco), can't wait to get it all ready for a big fire...hopefully in a week or so.

Comment

looks good!

Definitely start curing now I'm on my 5th fire and still completing

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
              Nice looking oven! You can (and probably should) start curing before you put on the insulation and stucco.
              could anyone please explain why the curing take place before the insulation, and what will be the effect if i start curing after i put installation and plaster

Comment

Originally posted by Niro View Post
                could anyone please explain why the curing take place before the insulation, and what will be the effect if i start curing after i put installation and plaster
                There are two schools of thought about this and pros and cons for each method. If driving off the water before insulation it can escape more easily. The downside is that it results in a far greater temp difference between the inside surface and the outside surface of the bricks or refractory. This leads to a greater difference in expansion which means stress. If you intend on adding vermicrete over the oven then you are adding a large amount of water after just having dried it out, so that water
                also needs to be removed before a render coat is applied. It all depends on how you plan to build the oven. Some builders have neither wet vermicrete or wet render on their ovens. The way I build ovens is blanket over the dome, then a layer of vermicrete, to even out the bumps and leave you with a nice firm substate to render against, a week of drying in the sun (hope there is some) the drying fires, then a cement render coat.
                Which ever way you do it just make sure you dry it out slowly.
                Last edited by david s; 12-15-2014, 04:45 AM.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David..
                  I currently finished applying the insulation (blanket) and the first layer of a cement coat (there will be a second layer coat).
                  i wonder if to start curing now or after the second render coat?
                  and what was your method to maintain 300F and so on in the curing process
                  please advice

Comment

Originally posted by Niro View Post
                    Thanks David..
                    I currently finished applying the insulation (blanket) and the first layer of a cement coat (there will be a second layer coat).
                    i wonder if to start curing now or after the second render coat?
                    and what was your method to maintain 300F and so on in the curing process
                    please advice
                    I like to retain the moisture in the outer rendered shell by wrapping it in cling wrap for a week to enhance its strength.Maybe you could do this for the final coat. Also rubbing a sponge over it when finished will produce a nice even finish.
                    Regarding the method for maintaining an even, low temperature, I use a method that we are not allowed to discuss (see curing thread). You can use heat beads/barbecue fuel to achieve a slow even burn also. Try to avoid too much direct flame impingement on the dome.
                    Last edited by david s; 12-15-2014, 02:13 PM.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                    X