Stucco finish, no vermiculite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stucco finish, no vermiculite

Hello again! Well, I'm sending a photo of my creation. Hoping that it will be a success and I'm so anxious to make pizza, etc. I'm about to cover the insulation, I made the dome with castable cement and fire brick following the ebook available through Forno Bravo. I read so much about people using a layer of vermiculite and then stucco. I have heated the oven several times with increasingly hot fires. I ended up with 2 small hairline cracks toward the back of the dome (outside). Then I put on 3 layers of blanket ceramic insulation. Then chicken wire and will put on 2 layers of stucco with a small escape valve in the back of the dome. Pretty basic! Its a 42 incher with 2 in board insulation below. The chimney is abt 45 in tall, 8 in dia flue liner to get above the cedar pergola. Can I have a decent oven like this? I dont really seem to have room for a layer of vermiculite concrete as is planned. There is not enough of a ledge to support it. Also, is the stucco by itself going to seal moisture out well enough? Ive read about acrylic additives, etc. As you can see, I built opposing counters, its poured cement, exposed aggregate. Did most of it myself. Gas grill on right and fire pit on left along with sink and fridge. Could use some expert last minute help! Thanks!!

Re: Stucco finish, no vermiculite

It's looking great to me, I don't quite understand the apprehension of covering the blanket. 3 layers of blanket will serve you well. And whats up with the escape valve? Did you get that idea from this site? Back to point; you live in a harsh environment, if you build a dome you NEED to protect it from the elements. Acrylic stucco is a magical product - I have had no problems.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I got the idea from a couple of entries here on the forum in case of escaping moisture or whatever, to prevent a crack in the outer shell. Also, I've got the product purchased already. Regular stucco and a finish coat, from Menards, Can the acrylic stucco go on top of regular base coat?

Comment

Wow Les!!! Your setup looks quite excellent!! Amazing! Also, I'm thinking of using some old 2 in redwood planking for a door, maybe face it with something (?). Does that sound workable? Could even soak it before use

Comment

Originally posted by msylt View Post
          I got the idea from a couple of entries here on the forum in case of escaping moisture
          I guess in theory it makes sense, I put it way up there with the heat break You can pretty much put the acrylic on top of anything. When I was working with it, it reminded me of sand in latex paint. And it DOES work. After quite a few years I am seeing a little chipping at the base - I may re-coat the base in a few years when it looks like it may get to the hearth. I personally would avoid using wood for the door. I know there has been success but we have also seen failure. If you can swing it, go for an insulated door, or at a minimum, go with a simple steel plate (what FB gives you w/ their ovens).

Comment

Next question...would you coat the blanket and chicken wire with regular stucco and finish it with acrylic? Or..., would you just use acrylic? Do i risk cracking the acrylic if the base layer of stucco cracks?? And, Thanks very much for your time Les!!

Comment

I did put a layer (around 4 inches) of vermiculite over the blanket. The acrylic stucco is pretty pliable - you should be able to just apply it over the wire and blanket. I personally would cover the wire with an inch of mortar for some rigidity, then cover it with the acrylic.

This is about the best link I can find - I put the stucco over this surface, #106

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/le...d-4207-20.html

Comment

What was your brand of acrylic stucco and store purchased ? Thx!

Comment

Originally posted by msylt View Post
                  What was your brand of acrylic stucco and store purchased ? Thx!
                  Dryvit
                  (the message was to short so I had to add this text to post)

Comment

Really nice looking set up you have. the polished countertops are a really nice touch...and pretty much maintenance free.

Dryvit is an excellent brand of EIFS as long as it is installed according to manufacturers application instructions. Been using it on many construction projects for over 38 years. One of their (as well as all EIFS manufacturers) requirements is that you provide a joint sealant at any exposed edges, ie: countertops, flue, etc. Do NOT leave any edge where moisture can migrate into the base layers of their product. EIFS has had a bad wrap in certain climates but almost all failures were due to incorrect application.....ie, not applying the correct joint sealant to the edges. Dryvit has certain brands of joint sealant and types of joint sealant they recommend, depending on what other material you are caulking to, such as metal flue, concrete countertop, masonry, aluminum, etc. I would also suggest you contact their factory technical support to find out what type of acrylic coating they would recommend.

There are many brands of EIFS out on the market which are also excellent products,,,,again, as long as they are installed properly.

good luck,
                    jon
                    jon

Comment

Working...
                    X