How thin is your concrete countertop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How thin is your concrete countertop?

Guys, I really want to make the edge/bull nose on my concrete countertop about 30mm thick. I'm wondering is this pushing my luck, does it need to be thicker? Are others doing it at 50mm or how thick? This would really be only the 40mm overhang, the rest of it would be a little thicker, probably up to 50mm.
    I have a fine steel reinforcement mesh, squares about 40mm and gauge about 3mm thick. I'm using sand cement mix.

Thanks

R

Re: How thin is your concrete countertop?

You are pushing it, since this is your first countertop..and I think you are headed for trouble.

A thin, sand only top needs a great mix design, reinforcement, and curing time. Also, you are asking for trouble by making it different thicknesses... Keep it uniform. A solid base is a must for any countertop, but especially do for thin ones.

Suggestion...50mm as a minimum.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

You would need a high fiber loading, correctly graded aggregate, and a latex additive to get to 50mm. To get to 30mm you will need to use GFRC and a whole lot of practice.

Comment

Thanks guys, looking like 50mm then..... I think I have to cut about 10mm off the top course of blocks to get a 50mm counter in and still have it slightly lower than landing height. I had intended having the landing level with the countertop and then the countertop would fall away gradually and overhang by about 45mm but I'm finding this gives me quite a thin counter over the red brick(35-40mm-ish). No point taking shortcuts now so I suppose I'll take a slip off the top of each red brick and put in a counter that'll be 50mm thick. I had intended having agentle slope from the oven outwards to carry away rain? Is that what you guys do? I assume this will be achievable with a slightly drier mix?

Comment

Originally posted by RichC View Post
          I had intended having a gentle slope from the oven outwards to carry away rain?
          [/IMG]
          You should...a small pitch will be sufficient.
          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
          John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
          X