Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pompeii Oven in Switzerland: the Saga Continues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frances
    replied
    Re: Pompeii Oven in Switzerland: the Saga Continues...

ahhh, now that is a very interesting question...!

mmmhoumos - whats the story to that name, then?

Leave a comment:

• mmmhumous
    replied

Those tile do look goood, I love the lizards and benches in Parc Guelle (spelling)

I like the Sun motif design you've drawn!

just a thought.... could you make your own tiles, and fire them in the oven?

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Well, its funny you should say that mmmmmmmmhumous. I just spent an interesting but rather depressing morning in a tile shop...

I found out where the Gaudi/Hundertwasser type of tiles come from around here:

Baukeramik Ebinger GmbH

Those tiles are SO beautiful!!! But I found out what they cost, too

And the regular small glass bathroon tiles... they come in all colours of the rainbow. Which is cool. But you have to order at least 2 square meters of each colour. Which is less cool. Lets put it this way: It'd end up costing about the same as the whole oven has cost so far...

But I would have enough coloured tiles to see me through the next couple of years. What to do, what to do.... Well, at least I now know what I'll buy if I ever win the pools.

Here are the preliminary sketches anyway. VERY preliminary

Leave a comment:

• mmmhumous
    replied

Looks great Frances!! But if you do decide going to mosaic it, Gaudi's work is always great for inspiration (and it's a good excuse for a weekend in Barcelona too).

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

No no no, its nowhere near finished... but it IS waether proof - I just went to check, and the rain just pearls off it. You can't imagine how great that feels, after worrying about water getting in all through the winter!

Jim, I think the chimney draws ok. But I made the outer arch higher than the inner one, and this seems to create some turbulence in the vent area - with a fair amount of smoke coming out when I light the oven. So the draw probably isn't as good as it should be with that chimney length. I wondered if maybe I should try to lower the entry in some way, but I've decided I like it the way it is, with the black archway and everything.

Its been said before, why fix something that works?

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied

Vaughn loves to rearrange the furniture periodically, change colors....Frances you can change the color every year and get artistic too but it's hard to relocate an oven (hmmm, a portable design?)

Frances, how does that chimney work for you....I like the height and need to extend mine...just can't find the right material yet.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Inishta
    replied

Frances, I agree with George.............looks great and matches your outdoor room decor beautifully.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Frances, I'm with you. I love the look! You can always go back later and change it, every year in fact.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

No way the oven is done. It is calling for some last character, mosaic, rock, colors, etc? No? Yes?

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Today, after our late easter get-together with parents, inlaws etc - for which I baked a vegetable pie, a fruit pie and a loaf of bread with the retained heat from yesterdays pizzas (and a small booster fire I'll admit) - well after that, when everybody had gone home...

I decided to paint the oven with some white 100% acrylic paint designed for putting on house walls. This, apparently, will protect it from the elements. Which is good, with rain coming tomorrow.

Its really weird to think I could just stop here... I could call it the white elephant or something and say the mosaics thing was a joke and tell everyone my oven was "finished"...

Leave a comment:

• Inishta
    replied

Frances, the mosaics are brilliant. Seems there is no end to the talent of folks on site. Perhaps WFO's are an extention of our creative sides.......

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

RC, would have been superb if the wife would have done the whole kitchen wall to the counter with that concept. Now that would be worth pursuading.

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Awesome chair, can't wait to see the dome completed.
    My wife is now on her fourth mosaic, her second is shown below. It's a backsplash in in kitchen.
    She declined on the dome, more interested in her projects.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Thank you .

I saw a mosaic armchair in a book, and just knew I HAD to have one... a bit like the oven really...

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

Wow, Frances, your mosaics are incredible - I love that armchair! With your artistry, whatever you decide to do on your oven will look amazing!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X