Ken's Pompeii Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ken's Pompeii Door

Thanks for all the concerns. I stopped by Home Depot to double check the materials I used. The aluminum flashing and expanded metal are definitely not galvanized . Next time I fire up the oven, I'll check the screws, but I'm 99% sure I didn't get galvanized.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Glad to hear it, Ken. We'd hate for you to grow a third eye or something!
      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

Alright, Ken. I've been working on my door plans, and yours seems to be the most workable for me. (Hey, I copied your oven, why not your door?)

A few questions.

What purpose does the expanded metal serve? Is that just for strength? Do you think it would be strong enough with the inside face of aluminum flashing, or is that too flimsy?

The strip of flashing that you cut for the perimeter. Is that secured in any way, or just held together with pressure?

How is it holding up? Do the handles get hot?
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Let us know how it works, Mike! You are copying a pretty neat door!
          Jay

Comment

Mike,

The expanded metal was used to give the screws something to grab on to so I could sandwich the insulating board in between. You could also use a solid piece of sheet metal. I figured the expanded metal would conduct less heat than sheet metal.

The strip of flashing around the perimeter has tabs on both sides and is held with pressure.

Door works like a champ! Good luck and be sure to post some pics of your door.
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

My door is very similar and it is holding it's own as well!

On my last trip to the dump I picked up 2 oven doors to salvage the glass. There may be a modification to my door coming soon!

Christo
              My oven progress -
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
                Thanks for all the concerns. I stopped by Home Depot to double check the materials I used. The aluminum flashing and expanded metal are definitely not galvanized . Next time I fire up the oven, I'll check the screws, but I'm 99% sure I didn't get galvanized.
                After reading this thread I did some research into the toxicity of zinc vapors and how and when they happen and found that the temperatures of a WFO do not even come close to the vapor point of zinc. Zinc vaporizes at 1180C or 1664 F and is only toxic as a vapor. At those temps it would be hard to be breathing the fumes coming off the oven even if it could reach those temps. And there are no reported cases of Zinc vapor poisoning from residential fires that i could find. There are several reported cases of zinc fume poisoning from welding zinc but those temperatures are much higher and are burning off a considerable amount of zinc plating.

The amount of zinc used to plate a few screws that are not even in direct contact with the fire and probably do not exceed a temp of 900F are of little or no concern to me.

Again just my two cents.

Chip
                Chip

Comment

The galvanizing does seem to either melt or corrode at WFO temps I've found, so I stay away from using it. However, apart from the the debateable toxicity issue if the galvanizing goes you will get rusting of the steel bolts and nuts unless you use stainless. Also the conductivity of stainless is way lower than normal steel so all round is a better choice IMO. Use the smallest diam bolt you dare to reduce conductivity. I use four 3/16" stainless 316 bolts.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

"Copper and stainless are likely better candidates for doors."

or even better, aluminum. Lifting heavy, smoking hot steel doors in and out is a pain (and occasionally painful).

Street signs are up to .080 or so aluminum (12 ga or 2 mm).

Do a Google search for "aluminum signs" to find a source near you.
                    Last edited by Neil2; 09-05-2012, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Copper and aluminum are two of the *most* conductive non-precious metals, while stainless steel is a poor conductor of heat. That said, my "temporary" bake door is a slab of cal-sil wrapped in heavy-duty aluminum foil, and secured with aluminum tape (no handles). I've been using it for a year now... but my draft door is stainless steel.

Comment

How can I see a pic of this door?

Comment

Working...
                        X