Chimney attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney attachment

I'm leaning toward using the Duratech 8" stainless steel chimney. I have three questions.

1. It appears that the anchor plate for an 8" chimney is a 12" by 12" square plate. What size should I cut in the bricks on my vent to accomodate the anchor plate?

2. Does anyone have good pictures of how the plate attaches to the vent? For instance, does the anchor plate get attached to the top of the vent and the chimney then starts at the top of the vent or is it somehow attached inside the vent?

3. Can you cover the stainless steel chimney with stucco and, if so, what do you need between the stucco and the pipe itself?

Thanks, Jim

Re: Chimney attachment

Ken524's Old Kentucky Dome thread in the Brick Oven Photos Forum has great pics of this and an awesome description, a few pages later, on how the anchor plate sits in there.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Jim,

Just a bit to add to what George passed on. You'll find that stucco really won't adhere to stainless very well at all. It might look okay at first, but it will crack eventually. Build a round or square "chase" around the pipe using lath wire. Leave at least an inch gap between it and the pipe for air movement. Use the base coat recommended by the stucco maker to parge the lath wire. Apply your top coat over this once it has set.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Thanks George and Jim. The previous posts from Ken524 were useful. Jim, what is a "chase"? I saw one guys post saying that he would put chicken wire around the pipe, then high heat mortar and then stucco. I appreciate your point that you may want some gap between the steel and the bond for air movement, however.

From Ken 524's description, the duravent chimney attaches to the plate on the top of the vent, but some portion of it extends down into the vent. Since the plate is 12X12, do I want to cut the bricks in the vent to create a 9X9 hole so the pipe can fit?

Jim

Comment

That sounds like plenty of room. I used 6 inch Duravent and only had a 6.25" square opening for the portion that sits inside the vent, (8 X 8 outside). My anchorplate survived without causing any cracks in the surrounding brickwork.
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Jim,

A chase is simply a construction term for some sort of box, square or round, in which the pipe runs. The shape does not matter that much, except for aesthetic reasons, so long as it is rigid enough to support the finish material. I could be made with steel studs and cement board or lathe wire (diamond shaped openings). Your choice.

Jim
            "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Working...
            X