Door (kind of)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Door (kind of)

Hey, I just got downgraded from master builder to kid-at-the-pizza-shop. Better go claim my tee-shirt.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Dmun,

Congrats. Now there are three of us. Let me know if the t-shirt fits.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
        Hey, I just got downgraded from master builder to kid-at-the-pizza-shop. Better go claim my tee-shirt.
        Good point. We will send you the Tshirt, AND I will change the titles.

Any recommendations?
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
          How were you going to frame the Ytong Inishta? I thought if you could put a thin metal rim all the way round the edges, it might stop bits getting knocked off all the time.
          Frances............I never really thought this through. It was just a random thought that popped into my head.

Clearly not enough in there to occupy the space........

That's the way these ovens get to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Inishta View Post
            Hi dusty.............ytong are autoclaved aerated concrete blocks. I've used them in my house build. 9"/150mm for exterior and 4"/100mm for internal walls and my nephew Richard is building a complete house with them. Kind of like a large lego set. They are lightweight and can be cut with a handsaw. I can post some photos if you are interested. I think Carl from England used them for insulation under his hearth. I also seem to remember that he did some heat tests on them. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Hello again,

couple of years ago I built a large shed (56 sq m) from AAC blocks. In our region they come 200 mm wide. Laid up fairly quickly on special mortar but VERY fragile given the right WRONG conditions - see my album the shed at Picasa Web Albums - carioca...

I would NOT use them for insulation near a WFO - there exist special lightweight heat-proof insulation blocks for that purpose.

Cheers,

LMH
            "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

I will change the titles.

Any recommendations?
              I like "Pizzaiolo", it has a nice ring of humility. In my opinion, people with long standing in organizations can either lead from experience, or preach from pre-conception, which mostly takes the form of moaning about the way things used to be.

Also, "Pizzaiolo" is a reminder of our primary purpose, a simple thing well done.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Nicely said dmun.

Sorry to inturrupt this interesting discussion, just an update on my door:

...Its a piece of crap!

Like so many things in life, it may look good, but its pretty useless when the going (or the oven in this case) gets hot. The handles are ok, they're far enough away from the surface of the door, but said suface DOES get hot, far hotter than the simple if not so beautiful ytong board I've been using so far.

And when faced with precious heat leaching out of the oven into the environment rather than baking my bread, there's not really much of a coice, is there?

....Maybe I'll keep the metal door around for decorative purposes. It still must insulate better than a metal sheet, and the handles don't get hot, so it does work, kind of...
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I like "Pizzaiolo", it has a nice ring of humility. In my opinion, people with long standing in organizations can either lead from experience, or preach from pre-conception, which mostly takes the form of moaning about the way things used to be.

Also, "Pizzaiolo" is a reminder of our primary purpose, a simple thing well done.
                  That's why this is such a great group. Well said.

What is I change to Il Pizzaiolo. I little more definitive. :-)
                  James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Well stated Dmun, I can't tell members how much great advice I've received from you, as well as others, during my build. This forum has fostered that attitude and I greatly appreciate it. I'll add my two cents when I know something or know something I did that didn't work.
                    Thanks to James.

Frances, sorry about the door it looked so good, my only concern was whether the metal handles would get hot. Do you think more insulation was needed?
                    RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
                    Oven Thread

Comment

"Piece of crap" - nicely said yourself Frances

Congrats David on your new status. I'm not sure that I agree with you, but I'm sure not going to argue with you either. "Better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak, and remove all doubt" Mark Twain I believe....
                      GJBingham
                      -----------------------------------
                      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
                        my only concern was whether the metal handles would get hot. Do you think more insulation was needed?
                        Well, as I said, the handles didn't get hot, so it was a partial success and would work better than cooking without a door at all. Maybe if I'd made it thicker, with more room for insulation? or with a stronger type of insulation?
                        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                          Well, as I said, the handles didn't get hot, so it was a partial success and would work better than cooking without a door at all. Maybe if I'd made it thicker, with more room for insulation? or with a stronger type of insulation?
                          Frances, I am still thinking about what kind of a door I am going to make for forno del gallo, but your experiment was valuable for me - my thinking now is that the two metal halves must NOT touch anywhere, particularly along the rim!

So one could probably make two shells, in a kind of double U shape each but one smaller by an ich or so... in that way you can put insulation between the two shells, and stuff more insulation along the rim between the larger U and the smaller U...

I should really make a sketch..

cheers
                          lmh

Comment

Frances - great work on the door aspect....even though maybe you feel you have not reached "nirvana" with it yet......I'm in the same boat.

Ok, time for me to chime in as I have some thoughts/questions on the door aspect, as I am yet to finish mine and head towards nirvana with it......but first I want to take it left field a bit.

Currently I use an old timber door - its a jalopy (old aussie slang for a piece of junk). When I bake bread, I hang a couple damp/dripping rags over it to help seal off the door and provide moisture (inside) and it does help with the breads rising. Now most of the talk is around a door retaining heat........What about it having the ability to fully seal off the oxygen. Ok, straight away people might think "backdraft"!

Well a couple months ago I was watching a TV cooking show where they were filming a Greek Cypriot name day. In this particular case it was on older style wood oven but basically the same shape/style as pompei etc.. Anyway they built the fire, got it down to nice embers(couple hours) then put the food (in trays) straight in oven on top of the embers (mostly) and then promptly sealed up the oven opening(the only one) with mud. Couple hours later it came out and no burning of the meat whatsoever. Some of it is here (sorry its only text but I have kept video of it on my PVR):
                            Food Lovers' Guide to Australia - Feast , St Savvas Day

CJ - more Mauve pics there too :-)

Anyway this got me thinking about some similarities to the Hangi (New Zealand Maori cooking method).
                            H?ngi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                            I remember trying one of these when I was only 9 or 10yrs old......and I still remember the taste/tenderness of the meat & vegetables and watching the old Maori bloke doing it. Although a Hangi strictly speaking doesn't seem to be about restricting oxygen - more controlling the escaping steam.

Anyway I guess my point is - when slow cooking meats is there times where it will be of some value to completely seal the oven from oxgen (well most of it)........mmmm I warned it was left field but hey I've only had one glass of red tonight
                            Last edited by Bacterium; 02-24-2008, 04:28 AM. Reason: spelling
                            Cheers
                            Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Bacterium, I have an 'interior' door on my oven which slides across the opening, sealing the oven. I use this for slow roasting to great effect. There are quite a few instances of restricting or excluding oxygen. The Hawaiian Luau is totally enclosed for cooking. There isn't a whole lot of oxygen in a modern oven. There is no reason why you cant go that route. I intend to copy CJims door for when I wish to cook with a draft or for firing the oven up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacterium View Post
                                <snip>

Anyway I guess my point is - when slow cooking meats is there times where it will be of some value to completely seal the oven from oxgen (well most of it)........mmmm I warned it was left field but hey I've only had one glass of red tonight
                                Hi bacterios! That lamb-in-a-tomb cooking sounds fingerlickin' good, to borrow a likely trademarked slogan... I copied the recipe using the brilliant little utility Evernote but have one question to the meat lovers on this site: how hot does the forno have to be during this sloooow cooking process?

Cheers,

LMH

PS: just shared half a bottle of lovely WA Bullant chardy with Bianca, who abhorrs chardonnay but rather liked this variety...

Comment

Working...
                                X