Oven Enclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Enclosure

The good news is that after 2 years, I have a functional pizza oven. However, I spent so much time plodding through the construction of the dome and the entrance, that I never made sure that I left myself room on the hearth to build an enclosure for the oven. I had intended to put up a gabled roof and sides. As you can see from the pic, I didn't leave any space to lay down 2x4s for the frame.

Any suggestions?
    Mark in Sandy Springs, GA

i wonder if you could just not have a bottom plate there where it won't 'fit, and frame in like a doorway, with a header as low as it will fit? your cement board/plywood won't be supported at the bottom, but as long as the unsupported gap is not' too large' it should be fine? double up the cement board on the sides maybe if you are concerned?

Comment

Your igloo looks great, maybe finish with decorative rock and then build a free standing structure around it.

Comment

You could build up steel studs from the ground all the way up. If you needed to you can notch the studs around the concrete lip on the edge or you could nail L metal on the base and attach the studs to that. So you do have a few posable options. Can you post some pictures of your support slab and better pictures of the sides of your stand so we can better help you.

Randy

Comment

no hands on experience with this, but looking through this board I spotted several builds with sheetrock enclosure. you have room for 2x4 or metal drywalling studs to anchor in corners. sheetrock will be flush or near flush with your sides.
          Anton.

My 36" - https://community.fornobravo.com/for...t-bg-build-log

Comment

You don't want to use sheet rock. You might be able to get away with dens glass or simular but cement board, or durock is probably a better way to go.

Randy

Comment

A belated thank you for the suggestions.
              I have decided to "widen" the original cinder block side walls of the base by adding an additional course of cinder block parallel to the first. This will give me enough room to erect a framework that will enclose the sides of the oven and support a roof. The "new" walls will also allow me to add outdoor kitchen space on both sides of the oven in the future. I anticipate covering the cinder block base with stone and will use stucco on the shed covering the oven.
              Mark in Sandy Springs, GA

Comment

Working...
              X