Removable chimney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all,

Thought I would update this thread for any future readers of the thread.

So, my approach to the chimney was this in the end - I took my 1m single walled flue and cut about a third off it with an angle grinder. Then, in one end of the shorter length I cut notches a couple of inches deep, spaced out about a couple of inches. Using a hammer, I then bent these tabs outwards and sat the flue on top of the oven entrance as shown. I fixed it to the bricks using heat resistant sealant/adhesive underneath and all around the tabs, smoothing it out.

I then finished the second arch off around the flue and did one extra course of bricks on top. I then filled the gap between the bricks and the flue with vermicrete.

I may add another course of bricks and fill with more vermicrete. Either way, I will then cover the exposed vermicrete around the flu with render to protect it from the weather, using the heat proof sealer again where it meets the hot flue.

To the remaining length of flue, I have attached the stainless steel connector joint as shown in the photos. This easily slips over the fixed length of flue on the oven, creating a nice tight fit but one that can be removed whenever the oven is not in use or needs covering.

Whether it stands the test of time, we'll see but thats my approach to the removable chimney.
    http://ukwoodfiredovenforum.proboard...ordshire-build

Comment

Thanks for sharing the pics! I´m planning to do something similar (fixing the chimney to the arch), so any updates on how that joint stands the test of time is highly appreciated!

What inner diameter is that pipe?

Comment

Will do! It's a 6 inch diameter pipe. 36 inch oven. So perhaps a little small in hindsight.
        http://ukwoodfiredovenforum.proboard...ordshire-build

Comment

Working...
        X