No announcement yet.

What now for this part-built oven area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What now for this part-built oven area?

Hi

I have finished the main base and two surrounding storage area of my oven/bbq area, but I am a bit stuck for ideas.

I have looked at the photos of other wood ovens, but I feel a little trepidation making a decision about what design to go for.

There are two questions in my mind, one is about whether to have a barrel shape or a dome shaped oven, and that may or may not affect the final design.

How would you approach my dilemma? Bear in mind that I think that this oven so far has quite a big impact, visually, on the garden, and i would like to tone it down a bit.

I fancy going more for a wooden exterior - perhaps like a pokey little wooden shed/house you might find deep in the woods. Wooden shingles on the roof? Wood cladding on the sides and front? Less brick?

I feel that the patio and the two storage areas to the left and right are modern, and maybe my 'rustic' idea wouldn't fit in so well?

I also like clean lines, simple stuff.

All your thoughts are welcome, and thanks for reading.

Re: What now for this part-built oven area?

I'm not sure if you're asking which type of oven you should build, or what type of exterior finish you should go for, or both.
    The type of oven depends on your intended use, but for most people the pompeii (round dome) style is more than adequate and lots less costly and labour intensive.
    As for the finish, if your dilemma is whether to have the beehive look or the "house" style with a roof, I think either would look good with your stand, as long as your finish materials are in keeping with the earthy tones you've already got going there.
    Nice job so far! I'll look forward to seeing what you go with.

Sarah

Comment

Thanks for your comment, Sarah.

I intned to bake mainly bread in the ove, and occasionally pizza.

I suppose I was thinking that the shape, round/dome or barrel/vault shape would affect the exterior shape, but now I'm not sure that's the case.

Yes, I think I need to keep the design in with the materials I have already used.

Tim

Comment

I think it would look really good if you did a brick covered igloo oven, using the same bricks you used for the storage areas. That would make the oven look like part of the whole and probably make it less dominant, too.

But I could also see your idea of a wooden shed working... it would tie in visually with the wood counter tops you already have there.

As for the shape... for some reason I find myself rather biased towards the round pompeii design... it works beautifully for baking bread!
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

DH is pressing for an igloo shape, too. I am influenced by a design for a barrel shape I saw about a year ago.

Anyway, it's looking like igloo shape will be the result - I'll cogitate upo that for a while, as I have not looked into how these are constructed, only the barrel shape.

Comment

Work in progress always sticks out like a sore thumb. When it nears completion it will blend in nicely. If I were you I would go with the pompeii (round dome) style oven. It would be cheaper easier to build and more sturdy in design itself. The round design would be more appealing to the eye also with what you have so far and easier to operate and maintain. You have a great look going so far so keep going in that direction. I love the look of the brick you have here. A wooden overhead cover with cedar or cypress shingles would be fantastic and blend it in nicely as well. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.
            Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
            like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

When you say 'wooden overhead cover', do you mean some kind of roof, but having the appearance of being detatched, or 'floating' above the main, say, dome oven shape?

Comment

I mean like a cover to keep the rain off your head. Like a carport type area. Those beautiful wooden countertops are not going to like the sun a lot so some protection would be in order.
                Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
                like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

PUY,
                  The question you should be asking yourself is how much bread you want to bake. If it is just a few loaves, then the standard round pizza oven as presented in the plans is what I would recommend. If you want to bake more than just 4 or so loaves of bread and rarely make pizza, then a barrel vault might be a better choice. I'm sure others might disagree....
                  GJBingham
                  -----------------------------------
                  Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Thanks.

The original slab in the phtos was built with a barrel vault in mind and it measures about 4' (wide) by 5' (long).

I would like to make the most use of this area, naturally - would the plans for the igloo shape be a good fit or too small/big for this slab?

I think I've been converted to an igloo shape now, btw.

I would be happy to get four loaves at a time in there, if possible. As you can see, I would like also to be using the area for the occasional bbq/children's party, not just baking. I don't bake for a living or anything like that.

I set aside one day and bake about 8 loaves a day, but would like to up this to 20 or so.

Comment

I put 8 loaves of bread in my (round) oven on a regular basis, works like a dream. Baking two loads of 8 loaves would certainly also work. Three loads of bread... I think it should work.

Has anyone here tried that with the pompeii oven? What is the maximum bread output from one firing?
                      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

Comment

There are some case studies in the back of the Bread Builders book that describe how commercial bakeries get the most from each firing -- many batches per firing. We're talking hundreds of loaves from a single firing -- hey, you've got to put all that retained heat (and the cost of fuel) to good use.
                        James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

If you try for three Frances, I'd recommend doing a longer than normal initial firing, perhaps an hour more once the dome clears. The more heat you apply with fire while burning, the longer the oven should stay hot on the cooling curve.
                          GJBingham
                          -----------------------------------
                          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I too like the look of the brick, very nice!

....an alternative look would be to face the oven base with the same stone you used on the ground....would be a nice contrast but tie in the two nicely.

just thinking....
                            Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                              If you try for three Frances, I'd recommend doing a longer than normal initial firing, perhaps an hour more once the dome clears. The more heat you apply with fire while burning, the longer the oven should stay hot on the cooling curve.

Purely hypothetical in my case, I really wouldn't know what to do with all that bread... but I think with some practice it should be possible to bake three loads of bread - probably with a longer firing as you said.

Comment

Working...
                              X