Tornado Air Flow Design for Fireplace Oven Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tornado Air Flow Design for Fireplace Oven Combo

Has any one tried an optimized air flow for their build?
    Where the air flow for the fire box and chimney, instead of normally just in the center, it is one opposite corner?
    I aim for the draft hot air will circulate in the oven dome clockwise like a mini tornado.
    I hope to have some input or some kind of flow simulator before I commit to building this.

I could always just play it safe and build standard center chimney and firebox opening
    Any input would help.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom oven.png
Views:	347
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	437200Click image for larger version

Name:	top oven.png
Views:	226
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	437201Click image for larger version

Name:	full oven.png
Views:	218
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	437202

What you are proposing is an updraft system. In this case the flame will jump straight for the flue where it enters the oven chamber. The preferred configuration is a hemisphere chamber which eliminates cool corners and promotes better circulation when combined with a cross draft system, where the flame is pulled down slightly before exiting out the flue. Many kids actually have their flue exits at the base of the chamber for even greater efficiency, high temperature, circulation and even chamber temperatures.
    The fireplace with oven on top is an idea that has been proposed a number of times, but is fraught with problems.

Departing from tried and true plans might work, but can lead to a lot of wasted time and materials if it doesn't work well. Try downloading the free plans for a Pompeii style oven.

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...kiln#post14564
    Last edited by david s; 04-15-2021, 09:18 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleLemon View Post
      Has any one tried an optimized air flow for their build?
      Where the air flow for the fire box and chimney, instead of normally just in the center, it is one opposite corner?
      I aim for the draft hot air will circulate in the oven dome clockwise like a mini tornado.
      I hope to have some input or some kind of flow simulator before I commit to building this.

I could always just play it safe and build standard center chimney and firebox opening
      Any input would help.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom oven.png
Views:	347
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	437200Click image for larger version

Name:	top oven.png
Views:	226
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	437201Click image for larger version

Name:	full oven.png
Views:	218
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	437202
      Awesome sketchup skills! I tried to do my plan in sketchup before I started my build. But I could't even figure out how to center the first object so I gave up and made the design in my head instead
      You give Americans an inch...

And they'll invent their own metric system..

Comment

Working...
      X