Flue Gallery Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flue Gallery Design

I'm following the free guide which has been extremely helpful. I have my interior diameter and height; and opening height and width figured out. A 6" flue interior width should be adequate but I have been searching for some guide lines for the flue gallery. Are there rules of thumb that dictate the flue gallery width, length, and height in relation to the oven opening dimensions? I attached a picture that indicates the measurements I am looking for. Any tips are appreciated.

There is normally a flange around the oven opening to help seal a door, 2” in my case so my gallery is 4” wider than the opening.
    A lot will depend on you ovens overall size? If it is a big deep oven then the last thing you want is a deep gallery as the stretch into the oven can become to much!
    Very often people try to keep the gallery as short as possible, in your case you have 6” chimney so you have to work around that.
    Some clever designs stagger the chimney backward to keep the gallery as short as possible.

Comment

I understand and agree with keeping the flue gallery depth relatively shallow to facilitate fire management and pizza rotation. I am wondering about the width and height (beyond the 1" to 2" reveal). I'm thinking about making it 3" or more bigger to give me more maneuvering room. I'm not thrilled by the idea of tapering the gallery, but I have not come across anything that prescribes he gallery width and height based on oven diameter. I am building a 36" oven and have a 6" S.S. flue.... just getting the dome and dome arch going, so I have plenty of time and room to enlarge the gallery beyond my initial plan of 1.5" reveal. What about building the gallery arch around theoutside radius of the the dome arch...(With heat-break and gasket)? That would give me plenty of room!

Sixto - Minneapolis.
      Last edited by Sixto; 06-30-2022, 06:15 AM.
      if it's worth doing, it's worth doing to the best of your ability!
      Sixto - Minneapolis

Comment

There should be tons of threads on inner arch height ratio (typically 63-65% of dome height). Width is more builder's option.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
          There should be tons of threads on inner arch height ratio (typically 63-65% of dome height). Width is more builder's option.
          Start here
          https://community.fornobravo.com/for...g-size#post764
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by che View Post
            Are there rules of that dictate the flue gallery width, length, and height in relation to the oven opening dimensions? I attached a picture that indicates the measurements I am looking for. Any tips are appreciated.
            The flue gallery area should be at least equal to the flue area. Ideally, you would make it as wide as possible with as few restrictions/sharp corners as possible within the transition from rectangular to circular. A width of 50% of the flue diameter will be adequate. (Sorry, that should read, depth 50% not width)
            Last edited by Pizzarotic; 07-03-2022, 01:49 PM.

Comment

The materials you use to make the flue gallery will largely dictate its design. Building in brick units is difficult to achieve curves and nigh on impossible to achieve compound curves.. Sheet stainless steel will allow bends in one direction relatively easily while casting using castable refractory allows the greatest variation of design. The volume under the pipe should be large enough to collect the smoke and direct a smooth flow to it. If the gallery is as deep as it is wide, you'd end up with a very long tunnel, making the oven ridiculously difficult to manage. The gallery can be made wide, but only as deep as the flue pipe diameter and still operate extremely well with no smoke issues, a bit like the head of a vacuum cleaner that is wide, but quite shallow.
              Last edited by david s; 07-02-2022, 09:23 PM.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Here is a link to the question I posted on my build-thread...https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ge3#post447685.

The sketch below shows what I was thinking of doing: Bigger flue gallery all around, so I can grill on days I'm not using the oven? Will that negatively impact how the oven works?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gallery Sketch.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	447690 Thanks! - Sixto - Minneapolis.
                if it's worth doing, it's worth doing to the best of your ability!
                Sixto - Minneapolis

Comment

Working...
                X