Counter Top surface for pizza prep.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counter Top surface for pizza prep.

I was curious - what type of material does everyone have for a working surface for pizza preparation? I was considering either polished concrete or a polished limestone. I have made a couple of concrete bar tops using Buddy Rhodes concrete mix. The first one I made turned out great. The second so-so. Has anyone done the Cheg Method? Or does anyone have any other concrete recipes that have resulted in a good product?

Tom

Re: Counter Top surface for pizza prep.

Hi Tom,
    I use and have used a slab of polished 1" thick granite for the preparation of the dough and then placed onto an aluminium for insertion into the oven.
    My new outdoor kitchen will streamline this as the preparation area is directly beside the oven and the pizzas will be assembled on the peel and slipped directly onto the brick hearth, unless as my wife prefers, cooked on a pan or foil.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I just ran into a length of meganite 100% acrylic countertop surface. Had it cut it to 5'.
      The website states it's NSF rated and anti bacterial. It cleaned up well and is smooth as can be.
      MEGANITE? is an acrylic solid surface material that is used for countertops and other surfacing applications. Aetna Plywood, the leading distributor of wood and laminate products in the Midwest, has added a new solid surface product to its line-up, c
      I'll test it out on the 31st. Halloween Beggars Night. For some odd reason, my house fills up with wayward ghouls and drunkards clamoring for pizza & beer.
      A great many I never met. Months later, I'll run into one somewhere and they tell me they have been to my house. I figure about 40+ doughs this time.
      Hopefully, someone will be sober enough to take pictures this time.

Comment

A friend of mine gave me a piece of stainless steel 1 mm x 4 ft x 1 1/2 ft. It is very useful because we use it for the mobile oven or sit it on the table at home. Very portable, Easy to clean, roll out dough cut food etc.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

We had the largest company in Canada selling concrete countertops (sold it last year)and they certainly have their advantages. However, I would recommend stainless steel for heavy food preparation, when dealing with acids (tomatoes), extreme heat fluctuations and sharp tools. Having said that, an off-cut of granite or marble would work well (soapstone, limestone and slate are too soft and more porous). I don't think you mentioned being mobile, but if you were, food inspectors prefer s/s and the weight of concrete would be a disadvantage.
          Hope this helps.
          Karen

Comment

I have been thinking about this a lot while designing my outdoor kitchen and even the landing on the pizza oven part of that.

I still may do polished concrete of some kind, but am leaning towards just shelling out the money for granite for at least one prep area. I do pizza dough, pasta dough, and pie crusts on my granite island in the house right now, and I really do love working on that surface when dealing with any dough.

Travis
            TravisNTexas

Comment

If you want granite, check with a cabinet shop locally to see if the place that fabricates their tops sells offcuts and cutouts. You could save some $ that way, even if you don't get much choice in the granite color.

I have a cutout I'm going to use from a solid surface countertop. I just need to polish the edges a bit (one's broken a little) so I don't have to worry about catching things on them and put a foot on the edge that broke so it won't rock. I'm all for repurposing stuff, and I already have several solid surface trivets from other jobs! I knew there was a reason I kept that piece.
              Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Very good idea Elizabeth! I have at least 3 different granite places close to me that would be worth talking to. One I have dealt with, when I had a piece of marble that I wanted cut, edged with an ogie, and polished, and they let me get that work done by one of their employees in his off time and I paid him directly I like those folks, and if I tell them what I am doing, they may well think it is cool enough to cut me a deal!

Travis
                TravisNTexas

Comment

Has anyone checked on blue stone? DIY used it on a outside project, I thought it looked cool with the chipped edge. The question is will it work for a food prep. site?

Comment

NANDJ
                    We are a dealer for Pa. Bluestone and regular bluestone I would not reccomend because it can be on the rough porous side. Just today I ordered myself a piece of honed bluestone to try. At the quarry they take the regular bluestone and hone the top like a piece of granite. I will let you know how it works out.

Comment

most marble / granite companies will do a deal on offcuts as they become a nuisance to them, and they have to pay to dump them, providing you take the piece "as is " and cut yourself with a grinder to the size you need

Comment

Marble is the preferred choice for pastry but it's not the most durable. If I were leaving it exposed I'd go with granite. Concrete is porous and even polished won't provide a good surface for long if it's exposed to the elements. None of the soft stones will work well - they either require sealants or are more fragile and likely to flake.

If I put a pastry board in the outdoor kitchen it will be marble and I'll have a cover, probably stainless steel, to go over it when not in use. Haven't decided yet - I kinda prefer having the pastry board inside where I'm more likely to do delicate work and have a portable to use outside. At least until someone tries polished concrete and finds it a lot better long term than I think it would be...
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                        [/CENTER]

Comment

If it is just a pastryboard size, you can use marble and stand it up when not in use as long as you leave the back unpolished face exposed.

Comment

True, but I want something larger - and I'm not strong enough to carry it!

But you're right, that will work fine with a smaller board - good idea.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                            [/CENTER]

Comment

a piece 3' x 2' x 3/4'' only wieghs 64lb (28 kg.)

Comment

Working...
                              X