This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fdn1
    Question 2: What is the best way to lay the rounded field stone to the correct shape without resting them directly on the vermiculite/cement layer. One suggestion was to first cement cinder blocks in a "staircase fashion" over but not touching the dome. The fieldstone would then be cemented to the cinder blocks.
    I'm going to pass on the waterproof membrane, as I don't know anything about that. I do have a suggestion about the free floating dome: make, or have a welder make, an armature of rebar or similar rod, which you could wrap with chicken wire or expanded metal lath. You could then mortar the stones to the armature. I think you could also apply them directly to the vermiculite concrete without endangering the stability of your oven.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Re: So you guys want to talk about stonework huh?

Originally posted by redbricknick View Post
      Stonework by Nick Onassis, Adam Olmsted and Edward Faktorovich. Rock selected and painstakingly transported from river beds in Alta Dena, four beaches, Costa Rica and various rock venues on the East Coast.
      Very nice stone work. As a child and young adult I would go to the job sites with my father, a now retired mason. It was results like this that instilled a love for masonry in my soul. Excellent work. How can anyone in their right mind ever compare that with stucco stone....Yet people ask for it all the time. I stopped doing it about a year ago. I wanted to post a picture of one of the last "cultured" stone jobs I did but I clearly do not know how...sorry
      J.P
      http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Re: So you guys want to talk about stonework huh?

Redbricknick, Very nice stonework!

Comment

Re: Stone Work Photos and Ideas

I thought I'd revive this thread to post a pic or two of some stellar stone artistry by a guy named Lew French. I saw a segment about him and his work last weekend on CBS Sunday morning - his stuff is amazing! You can look up his website or google the CBS piece and see it on-line.

What I wish I had the patience, skills and rocks to be able to do ... not one stone is altered in his work, which as a result can take months to complete. I'd love to see how he'd finish a WFO.

Comment

I wanted to add some photos and thoughts on stonework and finishes. I think it is important that the finish blends well with the local scenery. In Flagstaff, AZ, we are surrounded by ponderosa pine forest, aspen groves, and nearly all the local rocks are volcanic. The San Francisco Peaks are the remnants of a volcanic eruption a couple of hundred of thousands of years ago and cinder cones are all around. Going with these themes, I decided to use the local rocks to complete my stonework. The rock is mostly basalt but has a really great, neon-green lichen.

Check out more photos of the stone work below... let me know what you think. Should the stonework meld with the surroundings or is it nonessential?

My pizza oven photos:
            Picasa Web Albums - Caleb - Pizza Oven
            http://picasaweb.google.com/calebschiff

Comment

Caleb,
              The fun you are having with your oven is as gratifying as the work you did.
              Enjoy for years to come

calal

PS, ya.. blending in with the surroundings "imho" is important

Comment

Caleb,,
                what progress have you made ??

Comment

Don't let my wife see that. Just today she was talking about the veneer being some sort of stone. Arrghh...!!! Here in middle Tennessee collecting limestone from the fields is no problem (ouch, my back), but it might look nice

Great pics, and nice work!

Comment

From the excellent shorpy.com site:

Note the clever way of narrowing the chimney throat with interlocked angle bricks. I like the top treatment too. Go to the linked page to see a huge version of the same photo
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Very nice, looks very natural and rustic. Job well done!

Comment

This thread has been inactive for a while. Thought I'd revive it again to see members' pics and ideas on their stonework!

Here are a few pics of my work so far. I'm doing a firepit and my WFO stand in the same stone: sandstone. These rocks are heavy! They should last me a long time!

Enjoy the pics. And I hope to see more pics from the other FB members!!

aceves

Comment

WOW! Great rock work. Did you scrounge those yourself?

I opted for the manufactured concrete stone. It was readily available and relatively easy to install. I used a "quick-stack" variety which had a consistent height and varying lengths. Wish I had used the individual "stones" - it would have given a more varied lay-up, but I think it looks OK for a first time rock layer.

Comment

Thanks lwalper!

I didn't gather them: my brother owns a landscaping company and he had a left-over pallet of sandstone rocks from a job that he did. He called and asked if I wanted them because he had no use for them. He knew I was starting work on my WFO. I said yes! You can't beat free stones!

It's a slow application (because I'm measuring every rock so I can fit it; I'm not cutting the rocks at all), but it's looking good so far.

Your WFO looks great! That thing looks solid!! I can't wait to be where you're at, all done and baking pizzas and bread!!!

aceves
                            Last edited by aceves; 07-12-2011, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Hi all,

So my WFO project was more of on undertaking last summer than expected, went in of the mind set that a couple of nights after work and a weekend here and there and it would be all wrapped up...... Not quite the case but did get it to a place where I'm happy with it.

The idea this spring and summer is the finish side of things, on the list is a taller chimney that has a tight seal and damper, and a more aesthetic finish to the stand.

Wrong feed im awear but What's the best way to retro fit a chimney with a tight seal to the existing oven? Have seen that high heat rope for around fireplace doors ovens and the like. Would that be a good option? My current chimney is loose enough I'm sure it will pull straight out!

Second is suggestions of the finish for the stand, will attach a photo and look forward to any ideas or suggestions.

I work for a company that builds zip lines, climbing walls and the like, we have a 'natural rock' product I could potentially use, or field stone, or any other suggestions.

Here's the oven as it stands,

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...0&l=a058793734

Cheers

Second time, hopefully the link will work this time. The full build
                              http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=881d0d101b
                              Last edited by Kiwi_in_canada; 03-31-2012, 02:03 PM. Reason: Links don't work
                              Here's my build

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=881d0d101b

Comment

My home grown fieldstones and stonework

I made a post in 'Finding Building Supplies' and Kiwi asked me to post a few pictures. I did, and here are some more.

I have never done stonework before, so if anybody has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

In case anybody is wondering about the moss, the stones were all wire brushed wherever they would touch mortar. I don't know whether the moss will survive on the rocks, but it would be cool if it did.

I will post more pix as I progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X