X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stone Work Photos and Ideas

Chris

I am using mortar mix I buy at Lowes or Rona (like a Canadian Home Depot). I like the Lowes stuff because it comes in plastic bags.

However, you should know there are several kinds of mortar: Type S, Type N, and a few others. As I understand it, Type N is somewhat weaker (non-load bearing). It may have other merits, but I use Type S just in case what I am doing is 'load bearing'. Home Depot only carries Type N where I live for some reason.

You can also buy mortar cement (Type S or N or others, I guess) and mix it with sand yourself. I believe it is much cheaper to do it that way. I am going to use a good 30 66 pound bags so it adds up. I think mortar cement comes in Tye S and N as well. Anyway, I figure the mix is more convenient.

I am using a cement mixer (front load) and do 2 bags at a time. A mortar mixer (side load) would probably work better but you can't ask for everything.

I got inspired to try do it myself after seeing old fieldstone structures all over the place. I know some of these were made by professional, experienced masons, but I am sure many were made by farmers and their sons and they are still standing. So maybe I could come close to their efforts.

Great you found stones! Hopefully nobody will object to you liberating them.

Comment

In case anybody is interested in my fieldstone oven

Here is the finished product. I have a bit more landscaping to do and I am waiting for the glass to make my oven door then its over to my wife!

If anybody has questions about stuff like the arch or anything, feel free to ask.

Comment

Very nice. How did you flash around the chimney?

Comment

Well, last fall I did the roof with concrete tiles. The thing with the ones I had was they are corrugated, and over the winter I realize yellow jackets would enjoy nesting in there.

Unfortunately, also last winter, my house asphalt roof leaked and this spring had it replaced with Almet metal shingles. The roofers had a few bundles left so I decided I would strip the concrete tile roof off and re-do it with the metal shingles, which is what you see in the pictures.

So, to answer your question, the chimney is cement board on steel studs. I put on the roof then I flashed with 4" galvanized angle, then I build the stone on top of that. I used thinner (1 or 2") stone on the chimney for weight. So the flashing is pretty much hidden under the rock.

I figure, worse case, I could caulk if I had to, but it seems pretty tight: water would have to flow uphill a few inches under the rock for it to leak.

Comment

Re: In case anybody is interested in my fieldstone oven

Originally posted by Mingy View Post
            Here is the finished product. I have a bit more landscaping to do and I am waiting for the glass to make my oven door then its over to my wife!

If anybody has questions about stuff like the arch or anything, feel free to ask.
            Beautiful oven it came out real nice and i like the natural stone look,, good job
            "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Picasa photo library:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1043493...lleryMay192012

Comment

Re: vinegar shminegar.

Originally posted by redbricknick View Post
              That's all well and good with the vinegar and everything, but seriously guys, how awesome is our oven stand?
              Nice rockwork! Looks like red brick visible thru that arch...are those the foundation for the rock? Did you use a coating on the rock? I used a waterproof acrylic sealer over all but tiles on my oven - we have a wet season here.

Comment

Awesome job mingy, dropped off the forums for a month or more, re energized to look at the stone work, loving the how too step by step photos, you make it look easy.
                Think I'll be hand mixing in a barrow so hopefully I can keep consistency controlled and my patience and back don't wear out.

Enjoy the fruits of your labour
                -kiwi
                Here's my build

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=881d0d101b

Comment

Absolutely beautiful, the field stone choice was perfect for your design.

Chip
                  Chip

Comment

Has anyone in e the FB community tried making their own "cultured stone". As in buy some molds and fill with colored mortar?
                    dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
                    sigpic

Comment

I have not (obviously, given the above post) however I did look at it for a walkway once. Then I calculated how many times I'd have to fill up those molds, wait for the concrete to set, etc.. Not worth it.

Comment

It looks time intensive, But tempting given the cost of "cultured Stone" locally in So Cal.
                        dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
                        sigpic

Comment

I really like the look of the field stone mingy - nice job. I am doing some planning now, for a build, and wondered if there was a need to embed "brick ties" into the foundation for when the oven eventually receives its veneer/facade. I have observed that when rock or brick are laid for a framed house, a space is maintained between the masonry material and the sheathing. I suspect that is to control moisture and is not important on a WFO, but should we take steps to tie the veneer/facade to the oven?

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

so i began my own journey of placing rock around my stand, and have a couple of questions/ may have done some silly things already.... i share my story to aid others and looking for words of wisdom and a guiding voice..

i get the impresion im a little younger than some on the forum..... and because of this i havent developed the appropriate patience and understanding of good things taking time...

managed to place and mortar my river rock on one entire veltical face of my stand (started on the back to get the teething issues out of the way and mostly hidden) in around an hour (approx 4'x4') with only one significant colapse and do over of 6 or so rocks... whoops.. first lesson learned move around the entire stand in single levels then return to starting point for next level to allow mortar time to bond and cure. (probably should recognise that complete stoning of a stand is alittle more than one weekend afternoons work) consistencey of the mortar is important, i an hand mixing (litterally) in a bucket around 1/3rd of a bag of mortar at a time, too wet and rocks just laugh at you as you try to place them and too dry and the just laugh at you as you try to place them. you know perfect mortar when you get it. Mingey is right on with the mallet and providing a reassuring tap to the rocks. ive seen this 'fingering' tool but have also seen a peice of dowel used, think that what im going to try.

so my question is all my rocks that i have placed so far have a mortar like appearence to them. no longer showing proudly there beautiful colour and texture, but masked to the world by an all to thick layer of foundation.... is there a way to clean them to their natural glory?? or is it just down to my rushing and not taking time to clean as i go and expecting a pay raise as i do so??

cheers,
                            kiwi

ps. if none of this helps anyone my apologiese, but if some one gets a chuckle out of it then success
                            Here's my build

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=881d0d101b

Comment

A picture would help. If you just smeared mortar on the face of the stone, you can clean in it various ways, but I would have to see it to say which way.

The secret to laying somewhat clean masonry is to lay it and leave it alone. Do not mess around with it or try and clean it up at first. Lay it and leave it alone. When the mortar dries a little, such that it crumbles when you touch a spike of mortar, it is time to start cleaning it up. First, tool the joints with a jointer, spoon, or your finger (tough on the finger). Then get a soft bristle brush and brush off excess mortar. Work on a 45 to the joints, and away from edges. If the brush is leaving marks in the mortar, it is still too soft.

Comment

Originally posted by felix View Post
                                I really like the look of the field stone mingy - nice job. I am doing some planning now, for a build, and wondered if there was a need to embed "brick ties" into the foundation for when the oven eventually receives its veneer/facade. I have observed that when rock or brick are laid for a framed house, a space is maintained between the masonry material and the sheathing. I suspect that is to control moisture and is not important on a WFO, but should we take steps to tie the veneer/facade to the oven?

Thanks for the advice!
                                Felix

Sorry for the delay in the reply. Brick ties are generally used when you have a wood/sheathed structure in order to maintain an airspace for moisture control. When I have seen a veneer placed on masonry, there is no void - it is filled with mortar to bond the veneer to the concrete. So in my case I placed the fieldstone to line up then backfilled with mortar. I suspect that if you leave a gap (without a complete gap supported with ties) you risk water getting behind and freeze cracking the veneer.

Of course, I'll know better after I've passed a winter.

Comment

Working...
                                X