Oven number two..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven number two..

More pics of the oven floor and the walls coming to height.
    As you can see I went for the tight ever ever so tight joints, I used a propriety mix for tight joints.
    I figured its not the fire bricks that fail in ovens but the joints so the tighter the better.

Again some of the floor tiles are recycled from the old oven.
    Just as a matter of interest, the floor area of the new oven is twice as big as the old one.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-08-2011, 01:13 PM.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Insulating bricks to form a thermal break between the inner and outer skins of the oven.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Ive done the curing fire but the oven just wont get to temp.
        What is the problem?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Geez all that done in the afternoon you are a fast worker.
          You'll never get the oven up to temp using twigs
          Last edited by OscarA; 03-07-2011, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OscarA View Post
            Geez or that done in the afternoon you are a fast worker.
            You have to work fast to make a living from laying bricks.

Originally posted by OscarA View Post
            You'll never get the oven up to temp using twigs
            I knew there was problem!!

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Ive done the curing fire but the oven just wont get to temp. What is the problem?
              Geeze I don't know, maybe I have to add air to my list of things that aren't insulators...
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Wrong, air has always been a contributing factor in insulation, but it must be used properly.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                  Thanks Oscar.
                  Ill invite all pizza nuts on the forum for a pizza when its done for all their invaluable help, too bad if they live too far away..... let them eat cake.
                  Hey, I'm not that far away........

Comment

Ill put you on the A list John..

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Some pics of todays progress.
                      The hardest thing was driving down Plenty Rd to Bunnings to get the MDF for the form.
                      They have built houses for 100,000 people out here in the last few years but the road is still little more than a Billy goat track.
                      Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-08-2011, 11:46 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

And the drive to Johhny The Oven mans shop to buy more fire bricks that I should have bought when I was there last week..

The oven itself is done, I now have to do the enclosure and the chimney.
                        We have a long weekend coming up so hopefully.....fingers crossed. it might get finished enough to use.

I laid the oven roof bricks flat to get more coverage and am going to use up a load of castable refractory concrete I have to bulk it up for mass.

As you can see the roof is bonded like it should be, even the 20mm pieces down the centre.
                        If I had of flattened down the profile I could have eliminated the 20mm piece but I needed the height to get to the Golden Ratio of 63%.
                        Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-09-2011, 12:10 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Good-looking build, Brickie. I'm most interested in seeing how you incorporate the insulating firebrick into your entryway...

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                            Good-looking build, Brickie. I'm most interested in seeing how you incorporate the insulating firebrick into your entryway...
                            Me too, Im making some of this up as I go along...

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Nice looking oven there. I also am interested in the insulating firebrick treatment. Are these bricks given the same treatment as far as adding a bit of moisture to them at layup and I am also wondering if they are about the same in cost as a light duty firebrick. Looks like a nice way to keep the heat in the oven from spreading out into the landing area. I am guessing its not worth treating the floor at the vent with the same treatment. At the stage I am at I may follow your lead on this one after hearing how this works for you.
                              Also one more question for you ....sorry about this..........I say your brick splitter on your web site. Would that work ok on Firebricks? I am thinking about all the bricks that I will be cutting in half for the dome construction for a pompeii and the rough edges will be outbound and not seen anyways. Not sure how a firebrick reacts to a split rather that a wet cut?
                              Last edited by waynespizzaworld; 03-09-2011, 09:53 AM.
                              Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven https://picasaweb.google.com/waynebe...42PompeiiOven#

Comment

Originally posted by waynespizzaworld View Post
                                I also am interested in the insulating firebrick treatment. Are these bricks given the same treatment as far as adding a bit of moisture to them at layup and I am also wondering if they are about the same in cost as a light duty firebrick.
                                The cost of the insulators compared to normal fire bricks was the same price.
                                I didnt wet any of the fire bricks except those that come off the wet saw, they laid the same wet or dry.

Thankfully the practice of wetting bricks (any bricks) before you lay them stopped back in the 70's here in Oz.

Originally posted by waynespizzaworld View Post
                                Also one more question for you ....sorry about this..........I say your brick splitter on your web site. Would that work ok on Firebricks? I am thinking about all the bricks that I will be cutting in half for the dome construction for a pompeii and the rough edges will be outbound and not seen anyways. Not sure how a firebrick reacts to a split rather that a wet cut?
                                No need to be sorry, if you dont ask you wont find out.

I havent cut fire bricks with the splitter, but Im sure it would work just fine, it cuts solid bricks better than some wire cuts so with fire bricks being solid it should be ok.
                                Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-10-2011, 08:48 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X