Using Limestone for oven floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Limestone for oven floor

My friend has a granite shop and has a piece of Grayish Limestone he had left over from a countertop 1 1/4" thickness and 4ftx4ft. I can have him cut to specs, but want to know if using this as the surface and using insulating firebricks underneath would be good enough without issues. Do I need to treat the limestone in any way?

thanks in adance

Re: Using Limestone for oven floor

You need to not use it for the floor of your oven.

Comment

The crystal structure of limestone isn't stable under the heat that WFOs get into. You'll be fighting it falling apart in short order.

Sorry.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone
        On the other hand, supply it with a nice solid supporting frame, perhaps seal it with something, and I imagine it would be a lovely prep surface.
        Oh yeh!

Chris

Comment

what about soapstone I can get that too in 1 1/4" thickness. Will that work well as a cooking surface ontop of my insulating bricks

Comment

Limestone, wherever you incoorporate it, is going to wear easily and produce a powdery surface with use....unless it has turned to dolomitic limestone, which is a bit harder.
            Last edited by Lburou; 04-29-2012, 06:33 AM.
            Lee B.
            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

What about Soap stone I can ge that too

Comment

Originally posted by jeemann99 View Post
                What about Soap stone I can ge that too
                While soapstone does absorb and hold heat well, the reviews are mixed on soapstone on the oven floor. Here is a good informational link on the subject. Keep searching, your friend will have something you need
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Yes, you can give any shape to limestone tiles because these are flexible. You can use limestone tiles on flooring, countertops and walls.

Comment

Working...
                  X