Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.

Originally posted by mikku View Post
    I don't know if Australia has wolves or not, the indigenous kind or others.
    Oz has a yellow wild dog called a dingo. Harder to find a pure dingo now as hunting and interbreeding with domestic dogs has taken their tolls.
    The dingo was not considered all that dangerous to human life. So much so that, when Lindy Chamberlain's baby Azaria went missing from a tent at Eyres Rock in 1980, very few believed it was a dingo attack. Most Australians, especially city dwellers, were all too eager to believe Lindy had done away with the baby.
    Lindy went to jail, her marriage went under, a movie got made (with Merryl Streep doing the worst Aussie accent ever). In 2012, after 400 documented dingo attacks on Fraser Island, a coroner reviewed Azaria's case and amended the death certificate to say she died due to a dingo attack.

Comment

Since the pros have gathered at this sight, I need to get another newbie question answered.. However, I did search this forum and could not find an answer that fit.

I will be using "Oya stone" for the outer landing (many have made polished concrete counters "same area"); I want to attach it with mortar to the structural slab. What recipe mix should I use? Available ingredients: sand, portland, plaster lime.

The stone is only 30mm thick--(probably not important). Mortar for leveling and bond approximately 20mm thick.

My decorative arch same "Oya stone", I have a slab 30cm x 90cm x 6cm thick, I was going to cut in right down the middle to get pieces about 148mm width. Those I would cut into pieces to fit around the opening to my oven. 1 vertical piece each side, another piece angled 45 deg each side, and one piece across the top. Full arch only 5 pieces.

These pieces I would like to fit together snugly--hopefully no mortar joint. Then bond them to the exposed face of refractory/pericrete/render. I will be leaving a reveal to place an exterior door ?? at some future date?? maybe.

What mix of mortar would be recommended for this?

As the render, coat is completed and successive stucco coats applied; the edges of the stone will be covered with these products... with only the face being the exposed surface.

Right now, I need the "decorative arch" in place because there will be a built up area of pericrete & render surrounding the chimney pipe--for lateral support. Part of this build up will rest on the arch and needs to be tied in--both supporting each other.

The 4:1:1 render recipe is really sticky...will that work for what I want to do?

Masonry cement is not available here.

What would be the recommended mix proportions?

Comment

Masonry cement is not available here.
        Rubbish!!
        What do they use in the concrete, its the same stuff.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Photo of "Oya stone"

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2604a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	293022

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2605a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	464.1 KB
ID:	293023

This is a very light colored stone, works well in hot places, often used by kiln builders.

Comment

Maybe we are talking about two different things,
            I am not a bricklayer, or block layer.
            When men would lay brick in the US, they would mix- Portland cement which came in 94 pound bags, Masonry cement that came in 70 pound bags, and sand.

This is the product "masonry cement" which nobody seems to have here!

When they make concrete, they only use "Portland cement". along with aggregates, sand ---da da da ..

Comment

portland cement and sand and water... make a lousy mortar, doesn't stick to a trowel--just slips off.

Comment

This is the product "masonry cement" which nobody seems to have here!

When they make concrete, they only use "Portland cement".
                You say potato I say potato, lets call the whole thing off......

Its all the same stuff made from a fired clay/lime slurry then ground, bagged and sold.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

All jokes aside, is it possible that Portland sold in Australia, Japan, USA are different products? As I described a Portland/Masonry cement/sand mixture used by masonry people in the US--do you use a typical mixture?

I remember using a masonry cement mixture for backplastering foundations--it spread easily, adhered nicely, but was a very soft finish. That mixture would not be used for laying block or brick.

French fries and baked potatoes are same thing but also very different... Right?

Adding the lime to portland, made a mixture that is very similar to characteristics of block laying mortar... But this lime stuff is a real irritant.. Even after cleaning up very well-- I still get burning sensations on my skin when I handle things in my workspace!

Comment

All jokes aside, is it possible that Portland sold in Australia, Japan, USA are different products?
                    Its the same stuff.

As I described a Portland/Masonry cement/sand mixture used by masonry people in the US--do you use a typical mixture?
                    Again, its the same stuff

French fries and baked potatoes are same thing but also very different... Right?
                    The French dont eat French fries, only you yanks eat French fries, the rest of the world eat chips.

Adding the lime to portland, made a mixture that is very similar to characteristics of block laying mortar... But this lime stuff is a real irritant.. Even after cleaning up very well-- I still get burning sensations on my skin when I handle things in my workspace!
                    Harden the F up.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                      Its the same stuff.

Again, its the same stuff

The French dont eat French fries, only you yanks eat French fries, the rest of the world eat chips.

Harden the F up.
                      Gee.. Thanks... Just the answer to the question I was looking for!

Since you are on a roll now, let me ask you this one..

If you poled the world population, asking them for the definition of two things:

1) Please define a chip.
                      2) Please define a french fry.

The answer to the second would most closely resemble the "potato deep fried in fat" that we are talking about.. Right?

But that is only my opinion which I give freely!

On the other hand, however, about the chip... You would get a variety of answers... A piece of anything, something damaged, a computer component or the reason I'm getting such crappy answers to serious questions! But that is only my opinion.

?? Well, back on the s--t list! , That didn't take long! ??
                      Must be that alphas don't mix well! A---ooooh!

Comment

The lime is harder on the hands than cement, particularly if you have a cut on your finger, you'll know about it. Your hands do get used to it, to a certain extent. I use a barrier cream on my hands prior to handling cement or lime. It helps a bit.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Still looking for the recipe for mortar-- original reason for post!

The rest is just wasting everyone elses time--with worthless banter!

My hands are fine, worse when working with drywall--all day exposure without gloves, cracks, hangnails, bla bla bla--all in a days work!

Burning around the eyes more problematic. Sweat bands for masonry workers probably a necessity to keep mixture, dust & sweat out of eyes.. Must really sting on a hot day!

Burnt retinas stop even the " so called tough--macho guys"!

Comment

Still looking for the recipe for mortar-- original reason for post!
                            You need to be clearer on what you are mortaring. You need a different type for normal bricks to that required for refractory materials. If you want a standard mortar to be more sticky use some mortar plasticiser, lime, bricklayers clay or fireclay added to the mix. Try the search function I'm sure mortar recipes have been discussed ad nauseum.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Masonry cement is either a blend of portland/lime or a type of portland clinker milled with limestone that serves the purpose of lime.

Comment

Thank you for the recent posts!

So the question started with #47, and #49 posts...

And since "no masonry cement" is sold in Japan, what proportion of "Sand, Portland Cement, and Lime" would be recommended to make a mortar suitable for bedding a 30mm thick slab of "Oya Stone" as an exterior landing; and for bonding the same material , 60mm thick as a decorative arch?

Comment

Working...
                                X