3:1:1:1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3:1:1:1

I didn't but they were hotter than it reads anyway (999 degrees F).

Comment

The reason I asked is that around 500-600 there is a big change in the expansion rates of different materials and they're all different. In addition clay undergoes the quartz inversion change. Although we usually sneak in under this temperature range, when we fire the centre of the fire will be hotter. I once killed a whole kiln full of pots in a wood fired kiln by taking this temperature range too fast. The pots were full of little cracks. Wood firing is hard to control and I think that is probably what killed your sand/clay sample. Castable refractory manufacturers state that the stuff is unstable in this range and recommend a rise of only 50c/hr from memory.it is possible to fire pottery by gently heating it and pushing it gradually closer to the fire and finally pushing it right it, but expect more than 50% failure rate even when done really carefully. Hope this helps.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I tested it like it would be used in an oven, i.e. direct heat from cold to full flame.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post

I accidentally broke the cubes, they were too big to move easily. Both stayed adhered to one side, I will see how soft they are when they cool down.
          I know this very interesting post was from years back, have you read this article The Myth in the Mix, The 1:3 ratio of lime to sand, by Gerard Lynch

https://www.buildingconservation.com...ix/mythmix.htm

Last edited by Alomran; 01-25-2020, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alomran View Post

I know this very interesting post was from years back, have you read this article The Myth in the Mix, The 1:3 ratio of lime to sand, by Gerard Lynch

https://www.buildingconservation.com...ix/mythmix.htm
            Yes, I did years ago.

Comment

Working...
            X