Pre-mixed mortar? Anyone? Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-mixed mortar? Anyone? Anyone?

Anyone have any experience with this mortar? It's pre-mixed and is over $100 a pail. I scored 3 pails for cheap from a guy who builds Crematories.

Click image for larger version

Name:	refractory mortar.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	319991

He had a few other types of mortar that I didnt buy but still could later:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20130806_131525.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	319992 Click image for larger version

Name:	20130806_131541.jpg
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	319993 Click image for larger version

Name:	20130806_131548.jpg
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	319994

I also got a whole box of Insul 19 FB. Its 1" so I guess I can stagger and stack?
    Thanks in advance!
    My build documentary page:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Re: Pre-mixed mortar? Anyone? Anyone?

I didn't use the pre-mix. There was some chatter a while back and the bottom line was that it is not recommended. Hopefully one of the refract guy's will chime in. The blanket is good, just stagger and stack as you have mentioned.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Where in the world did you get that?

Are you building a cast oven? That is a castable refractory, not a mortar. You will not be able to use it as a mortar, as it is, basically an epoxy and has an exothermic set.

I won't say it won't work, but you will have issues making it work building a normal oven. I may be interested in a swap to try it as a castable, though.

Comment

I got it from a guy who builds Crematories who had and overstock. I know
        took a chance buying it. He thought it would be OK but I had not read of anyone using it so I was curious about the "food" application. No big deal if I cant. Being near Austin, where did you find your materials? MPI on Todd Lane has some refractory mortar and Fire Bricks. Going to go look soon. Not pinching pennies on this project, I want the best materials I can get, too much work to not get the best stuff possible,, within reason.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

That is where I work, although mostly at the North store. It is food safe, but the set time is very short. You would have to mix an amount to lay each brick basically. Physically it is inside the envelope, practically, not really. I do want to build a cast test oven, so we may be able to work something out.

Comment

Wow what a coincidence! I've been buying my AC equipment from a place right across from MPI on Todd Lane for 20 plus years. I dont think MPI has been there the whole time but as I started thinking more about bricks and masonry products that place stood out to me now after driving by it hundreds of times. What kind of fire bricks do they sell? oh and I have about a hundred dollars invested in those three bucketsif anybody is interested in them locally

Comment

Working...
            X