source of CalSil or Ceramic fiber Board in Dalla TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• source of CalSil or Ceramic fiber Board in Dalla TX

I'd like to build my entire oven on 3"-4" insulation board.
    So a first question is which one or either one would not deform under this load.
    Which one will be more economical? And any suggestions for local source?
    Would you have suggestion for good insulation for dome?

Re: source of CalSil or Ceramic fiber Board in Dalla TX

By the looks of your location, I'm guessing you mean Dallas, TX.

Distribution Centers

Comment

yes, Dallas, thanks for ANH locations. I'll call them tomorrow.
      But this week I'm in Houston on my car. Any suggestion for this city? To compare prices.

But still bigger question is CalSil or Ceramic fiber Board? Will either one support weight of 32" oven? I may post this under Getting Started"

Comment

Originally posted by strobes View Post
        yes, Dallas, thanks for ANH locations. I'll call them tomorrow.
        But this week I'm in Houston on my car. Any suggestion for this city? To compare prices.

But still bigger question is CalSil or Ceramic fiber Board? Will either one support weight of 32" oven? I may post this under Getting Started"
        Distribution International in Irving

Distribution International in Houston
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I got a couple of quotes
          CalSil board 1.5" x 12" x 36", 36 boards per box -$90 that is $2.50 per board?
          FB blanket 1.5" x 24" x 12.5' total 25SF - $80
          Does it look right?

Comment

Originally posted by strobes View Post
            I got a couple of quotes
            CalSil board 1.5" x 12" x 36", 36 boards per box -$90 that is $2.50 per board?
            FB blanket 1.5" x 24" x 12.5' total 25SF - $80
            Does it look right?
            The CalSil sounds about right per box. But, I believe that you are mistaken about the number of boards per box. A box of 1.5" will probably be 12 boards. 12 boards would be 36 square feet. Each board is = to 3 square feet. I used 2" CalSil. And I am pretty sure that there were 7 boards in a box, or 21 square feet.

2" is the recommended (minimum) thickness under the oven for CalSill. 7 boards @ 2" thickness will insulate, the oven floor and the oven entry of a 42 to 44" pompeii oven.

I used 2", but I placed it on top of 4" of Vcrete. If my figures are correct, it would take 2 boxes of 1.5" to get you to a 3" thickness floor for the same area. There would be plenty extra from the 2nd box to use for other uses, though. Make sure that you request the flat, (not scored) CalSill.

The price on the blanket seams a little stiff. I bought 2 boxes of 1" ceramic fiber blanket from DI @ about $86 per box. (1" is a little easier to apply, and stagger the joints to get a 3" minimum thickness for the dome) And, I do believe that it came in 25 foot rolls. That was a few years ago, though.

You mentioned the term "FB blanket". Do you mean ceramic fiber blanket (CFB). It pays to know the correct terminology when speaking to the salesman. They are accustomed to dealing with contractors. There are brand names and industry terms that may trip you, or the salesman up. If, at any point during the conversation, you find yourself not sure, ask for a clarification on the exact product and the square footage per box.

CFB is what I recommend for "at least" the the first couple of inches next to the dome. You can step down in quality and price for insulation after that.

I hope this helps .
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Is this CalSil sufficient? Max Service temp 650C.
              And compression strength about 100psi considering that I plan to build entire oven on top?
              Also 3" between stand and oven floor?
              http://www.iig-llc.com/pdfs/IIG-300-Thermo-12-Gold.pdf

Comment

Working...
              X