• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home brew mix

Local HomeDepot has this mortar.
    TXI 70 lb. Type N Masonry Portland-Lime Blend Cement-9991 at The Home Depot
    MSDS : http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...4d0f879a03.pdf

Can I use it as a base? If I'm reading right it is about 1-1 Lime, Portland.
    So adding 3 parts sand, 1 part clay will make reasonable home brew mix?

Re: home brew mix

Also Lows has this QUIKRETE 50-lb Hydrated Lime Type S. Is it any good for our hobby?
    Shop QUIKRETE 50-lb Hydrated Lime at Lowes.com

Comment

Originally posted by strobes View Post
      Local HomeDepot has this mortar.
      TXI 70 lb. Type N Masonry Portland-Lime Blend Cement-9991 at The Home Depot
      MSDS : http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...4d0f879a03.pdf

Can I use it as a base? If I'm reading right it is about 1-1 Lime, Portland.
      So adding 3 parts sand, 1 part clay will make reasonable home brew mix?
      Should work, the roll your own is 3.1.1.1

Sand, Portland, Lime, fireclay
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les, Is this this lime any good?
        QUIKRETE 50-lb Hydrated Lime Type S.
        link to the product: Shop QUIKRETE 50-lb Hydrated Lime at Lowes.com
        buying Lime, Portland separately 2.5 times more cost effective.

Comment

Should work just fine.
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

3-1-1-1 will work fine but 5/6-1-1-1 will work better with less cracking.

Comment

Good to know guys. Thank you. Starting my build very soon =s
              Hey now! I'm not a complete idiot, I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                3-1-1-1 will work fine but 5/6-1-1-1 will work better with less cracking.
                Are you saying a mixture 5/6-1-1-1 where 5/6=.833333?

or, 5-1-1-1
                or
                6-1-1-1

And, can you explain why this misture option seems to work better than
                3-1-1-1?

Thanks

Comment

The technical specification is 2-1/4 to three parts sand, by volume, of the cementious materials. 2 of the ingredients, portland and lime, are considered to be cementious for the purposes of the mortar formula.

So 5 to 6 parts aggregate in this formula. The aggregate size, blend, and total amount will vary depending upon local conditions and use.

For refractory cement use the best design is always the smallest joint possible. In a fireplace application the joint will be 1/8 to 1/4", and will have a very fine aggregate and tend to be "rich", i.e.less aggregate. For ovens the joints are much bigger and the aggregate needs to reflect that and should be a more or less evenly graded sand from dust to just under 1/4".

The richer the mortar, the more shrinkage cracking will happen, that is why for this specific application, more aggregate is better.

Comment

The technical specification is 2-1/4 to three parts sand, by volume, of the cementious materials. 2 of the ingredients, portland and lime, are considered to be cementious for the purposes of the mortar formula.

So 5 to 6 parts aggregate in this formula. The aggregate size, blend, and total amount will vary depending upon local conditions and use.

For refractory cement use the best design is always the smallest joint possible. In a fireplace application the joint will be 1/8 to 1/4", and will have a very fine aggregate and tend to be "rich", i.e.less aggregate. For ovens the joints are much bigger and the aggregate needs to reflect that and should be a more or less evenly graded sand from dust to just under 1/4".

The richer the mortar, the more shrinkage cracking will happen, that is why for this specific application, more aggregate is better.
                    Thanks, that makes sense.

Comment

That is a very succinct explanation. Good advice!

Comment

Working...
                      X