Looking for fire clay in Massachusetts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for fire clay in Massachusetts

Does anyone know where to get fire clay in Massachusetts? I am on the north shore. Heat stop is $62/bag.

Re: Looking for fire clay in Massachusetts

Found some at Portland Pottery in Braintree $36 w/tax for 100 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Nosyapa View Post
      Found some at Portland Pottery in Braintree $36 w/tax for 100 lbs.
      Builders fire clay and potters fire clay are different. For builders the fire clay is simply used to make their mortar more workable. For potters their fireclay is used to increase the refractory properties of a clay body to be fired to very high temperatures. We only fire to around a max of 500 C so you only need the builders fire clay, (or IMO any powdered clay).
      The builders fire clay, or sometimes called bricklayers clay, will be way cheaper too, available from building supplies.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for the information. Other than price is there an issue? I only found one masonry place close to me that had fireclay and it was actually more expensive, but only had one bag. Many places had no idea what I was talking about. The stuff I got they say is used for cob ovens so I think I am ok?

Comment

I did a search of foundries in your area and there are quite a few. Call some of them and ask where they get their firebrick, mortar, etc. they may have some local knowledge.
          Chip

Comment

Easiest place to get it is from the tray of your brick saw. Once you start cutting bricks, you will be throwing it away by the bucket load.
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
              Easiest place to get it is from the tray of your brick saw. Once you start cutting bricks, you will be throwing it away by the bucket load.
              Golly gee I threw out lots of it, and did not even think twice. But I only paid $15 for my nice clean sifted dry bag from my supplier Smith Sharpe in Minneapolis Mn.

If I knew I could repackage it I could pay for those diamond blades I used on my saw.
              Chip

Comment

I hear you there chip I have a tray full of brick shavings. I don't plan to use them though as I like the very fine sifted stuff I got from smith sharpie. But if someone in Mn wants it they can have it. I wish you could pay for the blades with the stuff as mine is pretty much shot and I need to get another blade.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                X