fire brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fire brick

hello all i cant seem to find 9 in fire brick anywhere from newark to newton nj only 8 1/4 any suggestions ?

Re: fire brick

i just called clayton and they werent able to tell me whether it was medium or low duty. it was 8 1/4 as well. www.claytonco.com they are located in Wall.

does the size really matter for you? cutting principles should remain the same.

Comment

if i wanted to keep the thickness at 4 1/2 i would have a lot of waste . and I'm not sure if i used a half brick if the loss of half a inch will matter as far as retaining heat. then i thought to use the cut end facing the side but forno bravo directions say cut end faces out. so i have no idea

Comment

I built my dome with 8 1/4" brick cut in half. I don't have anything to compare it to personally. But, it retains heat very well. (That may also be attributed to good insulation) If you really want the extra thickness, cladding is cheap .
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

im gettting ready to start my build, so i dont know for sure either, but i dont think the half inch on either side will affect anything. Clayton also told me that they buy their bricks from Whitacre Greer, and according to their website specs, the bricks they have will be ok for use.

Comment

If you think about it all you are losing is 3\8". That would very easy to make up in cladding. If that is truly all you can find I say go with it.

Randy

Comment

I wouldn't even worry about trying to add 3/8" cladding. That is plenty of mass to work with using half bricks (the actual thickness will be 4", 8.25" minus the 1/4" the saw removes).

Comment

I was not meaning that he had to just if really worried about the mass it would be easy to do. But you are right not needed.

Randy

Comment

If I keep the cut to the side then I would still have the 4 1/2 in thickness and the width would be 4 in . Is there any reason to keep the cut facing out oppose to the side ? Again thanks for all the help

Comment

No problem, go for it!

Comment

A bunch of us, including Les, left the cut side to the interior. I beveled and tapered each of my dome bricks, which ended up less than 4" wide facing inwards. Whatever size you have will work fine. If its bread you're baking, like Gulf said, cladding is cheap.

Comment

Working...
                      X