Fire Brick Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Brick Question

I have found "fire brick" at a local home depot for 1.00 a brick. It is made by Pacific Clay. Their website had the following data sheet:

Reference: Extruded Fire Brick Please accept this Letter of Certification verifying that Pacific Clay Brick Products “Fire Brick” (4-1/2” x 2-1/2” x 9” or 4-1/2” x 1-1/4” x 9”) will withstand temperatures of 2700 ? F. with an Alumina (Al203) content of 21% and a Silica (Si02) content of 70%. The Pyrometric Cone Equivalent (PCE) is 18-19 and the modulus of rupture (MOR) exceeds 1000 psi.

This brick is not refractory brick and will not meet the ASTM specification for refractory brick. Pacific Clay is in conformance with ASTM C 1261-10 (Standard Specification for Firebox Brick for Residential Fireplaces)

Reading through the specs and comparing to the FB brick primer the Alumina content seems low, even for a low duty brick. Cant beat the price though.

Any hesitation about using this product for the floor and dome and arches?

Thanks

Ben

I wouldn't hesitate. They're more than sufficient for the heat of a WFO. The alumina content is only a couple percent less than most low-duty - although the 2700 degree rating is probably not accurate. That's a medium duty brick
    http://ceramicartsdaily.org/wp-conte...rick-types.pdf
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

What thickness are they? If they are 1.25" then they are splits I see both thickness listed. Should be the 2.5" thickness
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

They are 4-1/2" x2-1/2x9" ones. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I wish that I could have gotten mine at that price! Make sure that you get enough to finish. You can always take back what you don't need. But, you probably won't be able to get them at that price if you wait.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Great Price, like gulf said, buy a few extra for opps and such. As you sort, pick the best for the floor and the second strings for the dome.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Great, thanks much I will buy plenty of extras.

Comment

Use some of the best for your door arch .. the top of the arch where all the heat exits takes a lot of thermal abuse and the bottom bricks of the arch take a beating with oven tools and grates/pans etc.

Comment

Hi Ben, I see your in Mesa, AZ. I have just started to make plans on making a Brick BBQ and WFO, just curious on how your WFO is going and which home depot you found the firebrick? Thanks

Comment

Those fire bricks are the ones I have found locally. Did they work just fine for you?

Comment

Working...
                    X