source for light duty firebricks in eastern NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• source for light duty firebricks in eastern NC

Does anyone know of a good supplier of light duty firebricks in the area around Jacksonville, NC (eastern NC, north of Wilmington)? These are for the floor of my planned cast oven.

Thanks, Brian
    My 32" homebrew cast oven by the sea

Why are you specifically looking for light duty? Most masonry supply places will carry a decent medium duty fire brick that will work just fine for your oven floor. I cannot recall ever seeing a light duty fire brick. What are you using for the cast refractory?
    The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Biscotto di Sorrento, the tile used in most Italian traditional ovens, has a thermal conductivity of <.6 W/m-K. It would seem that Whitacre Greer light duty buff firebricks would be the closest match to this and I found a local source - they have thermal conductivity of about 0.7 W/m-K. Most of the medium and heavy duty firebricks are around 1-1.3 W/m-K so, with a 8-900 deck temperature (what is needed to get 45 second cook times on a neapolitan style pizza) the crust would likely be over charred.

I know that there are folks out there that use high thermal conductivity materials like soapstone (~12 W/m-K) for their oven deck - they must have to run at a much lower temperature and cook longer to keep from ending up with a burnt crust.

Many of the home oven stones are made of Cordierite which runs around 3 W/m-K - these work well since most home ovens struggle to get to ~500°F so the higher thermal conductivity means a well done crust over a longer cook time.
      My 32" homebrew cast oven by the sea

Comment

Adams Products in Greenville/Winterville carries light duty firebricks. They've been extremely helpful to me, and can give you product cut sheets that give the materials specs you want. I think there's an Adams in Jacksonville.

Comment

Working...
        X