Finding Vermiculite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding Vermiculite

I'm sure this question was asked many times, but I've done lots of reading in this forum and I'm still no closer to an answer...
    I'm trying to find vermiculite, either online or locally without much luck. I live in Maryland.
    Any thoughts on where I can find it?

Try nurseries or hydroponics suppliers
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I found both vermiculite and perlite at a hydroponics supply store. They are both for soil and plant treatement. Is that what I want? Also, the Vermiculite is half the cost of perlite. Can I use it instead of perlite?

Comment

From what I read here vermiculite is actually preferred.

i will add to the question however. I found that our chain hardware store sells Vermiculite as attic insulation in 3CuF bags. I already purchaced pair of 4CuF bags from garden supply place. what would be the difference between agricultural and insulation grade Vermiculite products?
        Anton.

My 36" - https://community.fornobravo.com/for...t-bg-build-log

Comment

Some of the stuff that's used for building has been treated with silicon to reduce its water absorption. This is a good thing because removing the water takes both time and energy. It will make the product more expensive than the untreated stuff. The agricultural stuff will not be treated though, because it's ability to hold water is precisely why it is used.If the vermiculite is half the price, that is the one I'd be getting. For every bucket full of vermiculite, in addition to the cement, try adding a handful of powdered clay, it helps make the mix more workable.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Here in central Missouri I can find large bags of vermiculite in the garden section at Menards. I don't remember now what they cost but it wasn't an expensive item.

Comment

35 bucks for a bag in Indiana, Perlite is about the same price around here. I actually find the blend of half vermiculite half perlite to be a nice mix 5:1 with Lime or Portland or a mixture of Lime and Portland for a nice insulating parge on top of the insulation blanket. It eventually gets hard and still offers a shell over the ceramic fiber.
              The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Working...
              X